Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on polishing aluminum pieces on my 8.1L engine, throttle body ect. After polishing is there a way to keep the shine intact like spraying a clear coat over the finished pieces. I plan on driving my vette and it wont be a show car I just want to make it easier to maintain the finish. :cheers: Mark

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yes there are a couple products that www.eastwood.com sells for polished aluminum ,chrome metal,paint,etc. I have bought them and they work great,even they have a spray that you can spray over already waxed polished stuff,dont have to take wax off,just pray over it.It is call a nano barrier spray,last up to 8 months then respray.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there are a couple products that www.eastwood.com sells for polished aluminum ,chrome metal,paint,etc. I have bought them and they work great,even they have a spray that you can spray over already waxed polished stuff,dont have to take wax off,just pray over it.It is call a nano barrier spray,last up to 8 months then respray.
By polished I will take the aluminum and buff it to a shine without using any polishes or wax just a high speed wheel and some rouge leaving a shine and raw aluminum.:D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Rustoleum Engine Enamel, Clear

Goes on very fast, dries very fast, looks awesome, leaving "the Wet Look".

(I like shiny things!.....:D)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Rustoleum Engine Enamel, Clear

Goes on very fast, dries very fast, looks awesome, leaving "the Wet Look".

(I like shiny things!.....:D)
I havent tried it, and he stuff may work great, but I would be very nervous about spray painting my freshly polished aluminum. :surprised

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I havent tried it, and he stuff may work great, but I would be very nervous about spray painting my freshly polished aluminum. :surprised
Something is needed to preserve the cast aluminum. I polished a set of old valve covers about a year ago and they have already turned.:surprised I just dont know the best thing to use for this and I suspect it is due to it being cast. :huh: I tested a part with the clear spray and it looks okay just not as bright as billet. Anyone have other suggestions?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not a suggestion - but a product I am considering was formerly known as "ZoopSeal."
It's now sold by Caswell Plating - google them or Shine Seal","its new label.
Not cheap - the Mini Kit (Covers 40 sq ft) is 70 bucks. But for 90 bucks you get twice the coverage (80 ft sq).

They say it:
Protects against oxidation and dulling
Eliminates repeat polishing for up to 2 years.
Retains the rich brilliance of polished aluminum.
Safe to use and is environmentally friendly.
Bonds chemically to your products.
DOES NOT chip, crack or peel.
Easy to apply and withstands 700 degrees F Temperature.

Just another lead. Good luck let us know what you pick and how it works!

Cheers _ Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
I use FLITZ polish (paste) on my Titan (custom bike) polished aluminum and it works great. Its the best polish I have ever used. My bike has a lot of polished aluminum (front end, wheels, primary etc.) Works great- rub on- wipe off. The only polish I'll ever use to maintain polished aluminum. Flitz-polish.com :thumbsup:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Not a suggestion - but a product I am considering was formerly known as "ZoopSeal."
It's now sold by Caswell Plating - google them or Shine Seal","its new label.
Not cheap - the Mini Kit (Covers 40 sq ft) is 70 bucks. But for 90 bucks you get twice the coverage (80 ft sq).

They say it:
Protects against oxidation and dulling
Eliminates repeat polishing for up to 2 years.
Retains the rich brilliance of polished aluminum.
Safe to use and is environmentally friendly.
Bonds chemically to your products.
DOES NOT chip, crack or peel.
Easy to apply and withstands 700 degrees F Temperature.

Just another lead. Good luck let us know what you pick and how it works!

Cheers _ Jim
This works too,i have used it on my engine,but its expensive,too expensive for what you get,heres pics of engine with coating on blower,valve covers intake,blower scoop.

You can hardly tell its on there,but you have to do it right,cant get any lint on it,the procedure is kind of a pain to do.But it works ,Bill

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This works too,i have used it on my engine,but its expensive,too expensive for what you get,heres pics of engine with coating on blower,valve covers intake,blower scoop.

You can hardly tell its on there,but you have to do it right,cant get any lint on it,the procedure is kind of a pain to do.But it works ,Bill

Sounds a lot like shark skin a product to protect aluminum pontoon boats. Thanks guys ill give it a try.

Buy the way that is one gorgeous engine :D would make any shark proud. :cheers: Mark

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sounds a lot like shark skin a product to protect aluminum pontoon boats. Thanks guys ill give it a try.

Buy the way that is one gorgeous engine :D would make any shark proud. :cheers: Mark
Yes shark skin does not dry exactly clear like zoops,but its the same purpose.thanks for the compliment:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts