Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha everyone...
If i remember correctly,magnesium is a class delta metal,but can it be polished like aluminum?If you ever saw my motor,you'd know i have got pretty good at polishing..:stick: Just curious...
A "class delta metal" when on fire can not be put out,it burns until gone...Thats why they used to push the planes off the aircraft carrier deck if on fire,it could burn right thru the ship...
Funny they use it on a rim thats next to a red hot brake rotor..:surprised
Thanks for any replys..:buhbye:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Based on some pictures someone posted on the corvetteforum of his polished mag rims, I'd say yes. They looked great, BTW.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool,i'm thinking 18s all around painted black with a polished lip..

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Yep Mag wheels can be polished, but I believe it takes away some of the color inherent with the metal. I saw pics posted a long time ago and while it didn't look like polished alum. it didn't look like the magnesium either....sounds like a cool idea.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to do this if i end up with your stock rims Dave,If you get rid of them before hand,i'll try Bill.
I will finally get rid of the run flats,i bet i can get better than a 2.3 60ft time on our fabulous track.:stick:
At least on the C4 i could get 2.0 60 ft.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,527 Posts
hawaii-5-lo said:
Funny they use it on a rim thats next to a red hot brake rotor..:surprised :
Todd, the melting point of magnesium is 1200 degrees farenheit (about 650 degrees celcius) It also has to melt before it can vaporize and burn. While magnesium powder can be easily ignited in air the mixture of aluminum/magnesium use for wheels has a burning point in excess of 3600 degree farenheit. Dude, I sure hope you brake rotors don't get that hot. Talk about lighting 'em up.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Polishing...

Torch Red 2K said:
Todd, the melting point of magnesium is 1200 degrees farenheit (about 650 degrees celcius) It also has to melt before it can vaporize and burn. While magnesium powder can be easily ignited in air the mixture of aluminum/magnesium use for wheels has a burning point in excess of 3600 degree farenheit. Dude, I sure hope you brake rotors don't get that hot. Talk about lighting 'em up.
I hope not too,or my tires would be on fire first,it was actually something i found amussing,i didn't think you'd pick-up on the flash points,burn points etc...:stick:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts