Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Better or worse if a new regime takes hold?

What say you?

sidenote:
Didnt we just sell them a shittload of weapons?:D

Even though we have had good relations with them for decades, sell them arms, give them money and aid, launch attacks on their neighbors from their turf, and they have many Christian peep along with Sunni muslims....

although many people here believe we are at war with afghanistan terrorists with a good reason, :laughing:.....

we have been seeing more terrorist leadership and attacks launched from countries in Africa..... and now we have this going on....

Comments?:huh:

Predictions?:huh:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
These protests have nothing to do with potential terrorist attacks originating in Africa, the war in Afghanistan, or anything else other than the people's discontent with the increasing corruption in the government, high unemployment rates, low wages, housing conditions, and heavy handed police. Anytime an "elected" leader is able to stay in power for 30 years like Mubarack has the level of corruption necessary to maintain power increases.

The President's family has left Egypt and Mubarack himself has not been seen in 4 days which leads me to believe he has limited control of his own country. There are several reports of police removing their uniforms and joining forces with protestors. While Mohamed ElBaradei has a strong following I don't think he has the resources necessay to take over the government should it fall. Unfortunately, right now the only group probably able to take over is the Muslim Brotherhood. That would mean a huge step back for Egyptian residents in that the Muslim Brotherhood is pushing for Egypt to be a strict Muslim state. While it's to early to tell for sure, it looks like Egypt may end up in a full out civil war before these protests are over. If the current government does fall look for other vulnerable governments in the region to follow..... such as Jordan and Yemen.

We could see a major change in the lay of the land in the Middle East before the dust settles.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Reports coming out of Egypt say that the President has asked his cabinet to resign. He says he will continue to improve social conditions in the country and will appoint a new cabinet on Saturday. That's not going to sit well with the people...... they want him out altogether. Sounds like a last gasp to me.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
The beginning of some really bad ****.. Egypt isn't going to convert to a western style democracy, more likely similar to Iran's theocracy.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Egypt is secular, like Turkey. Possible that they could shift islamic if elections are allowed.

It will get worse because the shift in power will open up opportunities to subvert and corrupt.

·
Registered
147 Posts
will someone please tell obama we need to drill here in the usa for oil.
the dominos in that part of the world will all fall. :thud:

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
will someone please tell obama we need to drill here in the usa for oil.
the dominos in that part of the world will all fall. :thud:
:agree:

Drill here for the medium term and develop the piss out of alternatives to lead the world in that technology.

Then we stop buying on the world market and buy only from those we like.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Amazing how quickly a country like Egypt can fall into chaos..

But is this an indictment against the 'leadership' or the people themselves?

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts

But is this an indictment against the 'leadership' or the people themselves?
Even though Egypt is technically a Republic it has not operated as one as the years go by. The amount of government corruption increases with every election cycle. How else does the guy win every election for the last 30 years.

HIs government has done nothing to better the lives of the Egyptian people. The unemployment rate has fluctuated between 8.5% and 12% for the last 8 years. The Egyptian people have finally had enough and with the urging of El Baradei have decided to push for change. They will not stop until Mubarack leaves office. You will see these demonstrations spread across the Middle East as the days and months go by.

·
Banned
14,241 Posts
Even though Egypt is technically a Republic it has not operated as one as the years go by. The amount of government corruption increases with every election cycle. How else does the guy win every election for the last 30 years.

HIs government has done nothing to better the lives of the Egyptian people. The unemployment rate has fluctuated between 8.5% and 12% for the last 8 years. The Egyptian people have finally had enough and with the urging of El Baradei have decided to push for change. They will not stop until Mubarack leaves office. You will see these demonstrations spread across the Middle East as the days and months go by.
I bet you are right. Muslims tend to be lemmings and are often encouraged by the uprising of others. Not a racial statement, but a historically factual one.

I think the ME is going down the shitter this Spring. The feared $4+ gas of Summer might be here by March.

Bet Ford's hybrid line is going to sell well this year!

Combine this with the double-dip housing market VFP made us aware of, and we have a serious problem. This might stall the progress we have made. Sadly, there is nothing the government can do about either of these. Best they choose a major industry or two and cut them loose of bonds for a couple years (with conditions) to get **** moving.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Quick prediction... If Mubarak is removed (forcefully or otherwise) Our relations will deteriorate in a matter of months. With the current administrations stance on domestic oil drilling, we could very quickly find ourselves short of fuel. Everything will increase in cost, from food to fuel.

Few people truly understand how fragile the worlds economy is at this moment. One major disruption in the supply chain, whether that be in oil, food or a nation on the brink of civil war, -and we all collapse. This was why nobody jumped at N. Korea sinking a S. Korean ship and then lobbing a few shells on their territory. At any other time... the response would have been succinct. The markets (DOW NASDAQ) are artificially propped up by government spending and borrowing. Take out Banking, financials and government subsidies such as corn, GM, Freddi and Fanni... etc. -and you have the actual number we are trading at, about 6000, maybe 7. Here's the problem. We are out of money. We can not borrow anymore. We can not print anymore for fear of devaluation and mass inflation. Nation wide, we are at 9 and a half percent unemployment. (14+% if you were to count the actual's IE... self employed) There are 6.8 million homes that are either within foreclose or 60+ days late on their payments. (8.9 million if you count the banks shadow inventory they are not listing to keep housing prices artificially high) In addition, the second wave of foreclosures are looming due to the governments "making home affordable" program in which 48% of those that received a modification through Freddi and Fanni... are 45+ days behind in their payments. Freddi and Fanni own approx. 60+% of all loans in America. This indicates that approximately 50% of all home loans are severely late with payments... and an inability to lend by a financial industry, due to new rules and regulations placed upon them by an over zealous and over reaching administration.

I could go on... but here's the bottom line. Hang on to as much cash as you can. When this **** hits (and it will) you will not have access to cash through your bank. Part of the new financial regulation was the new rule on withdrawals. YOUR bank can now legally hold your cash... not just deposits, for 5 working days. This is done so that there will not be a run on the banks by account holders in case of another crash. Keep 10% of all your funds in cash and on hand... just in case.

I hope I am wrong. If I'm wrong... no harm done. If I'm correct...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I could go on... but here's the bottom line. Hang on to as much cash as you can. When this **** hits (and it will) you will not have access to cash through your bank. Part of the new financial regulation was the new rule on withdrawals. YOUR bank can now legally hold your cash... not just deposits, for 5 working days. This is done so that there will not be a run on the banks by account holders in case of another crash. Keep 10% of all your funds in cash and on hand... just in case.

:agree: but sadly 10% of all my funds ain't much.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
:agree: but sadly 10% of all my funds ain't much.
Neither is mine. But, if I hold on to any more of it... I can't pay the meager bills I pay now. My income is off by as much as 60% from years gone by. I have enough can food to last about 3 months. :laughing:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
:laughing:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick prediction... If Mubarak is removed (forcefully or otherwise) Our relations will deteriorate in a matter of months. With the current administrations stance on domestic oil drilling, we could very quickly find ourselves short of fuel. Everything will increase in cost, from food to fuel.

Few people truly understand how fragile the worlds economy is at this moment. One major disruption in the supply chain, whether that be in oil, food or a nation on the brink of civil war, -and we all collapse. This was why nobody jumped at N. Korea sinking a S. Korean ship and then lobbing a few shells on their territory. At any other time... the response would have been succinct. The markets (DOW NASDAQ) are artificially propped up by government spending and borrowing. Take out Banking, financials and government subsidies such as corn, GM, Freddi and Fanni... etc. -and you have the actual number we are trading at, about 6000, maybe 7. Here's the problem. We are out of money. We can not borrow anymore. We can not print anymore for fear of devaluation and mass inflation. Nation wide, we are at 9 and a half percent unemployment. (14+% if you were to count the actual's IE... self employed) There are 6.8 million homes that are either within foreclose or 60+ days late on their payments. (8.9 million if you count the banks shadow inventory they are not listing to keep housing prices artificially high) In addition, the second wave of foreclosures are looming due to the governments "making home affordable" program in which 48% of those that received a modification through Freddi and Fanni... are 45+ days behind in their payments. Freddi and Fanni own approx. 60+% of all loans in America. This indicates that approximately 50% of all home loans are severely late with payments... and an inability to lend by a financial industry, due to new rules and regulations placed upon them by an over zealous and over reaching administration.

mad props for your keen ability to go completely off topic with 90 percent of your content ripping on obama ....:rolleyes:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just add it to the list of regimes like Iraq we armed and will need to invade and lose more of our soldiers....:down:

Our puppet regimes are a fallin......

rut oh.......

1 - 20 of 38 Posts