Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Decrease Value

Votes: 21 61.8%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking today about the Custom Image chrome bumper conversion. I am very excited about this new product and was wandering how this conversion would effect the value of our C3's.
I think it would help the value of my vette because of the fact it has a lot of different year model parts on it and it will be considered a custom vette in the end. So here goes :cheers: Mark

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you like it and are going the custom route then go for it.

But if you're concerned about selling the car later and it's resale value then remember that any extreme mods may limit the number of potential buyers to people with similar tastes in mods to your own.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
The poll needs more options.

It's a custom mod, pure and simple.

A chrome bumper mod to a non bumper car will drop the value to a buyer looking for an original bumper car. However, to a buyer looking for a car with some mods in mind might pay a tad more for one with the bumper rear end.

So, it might raise the selling price to someone looking for mods, and it'll drop the price...maybe even scare potential buyers away...that want an original bumper car.

Not to mention, it's still a '74 - '82, and if you put a bumper rear end on one, you'll alienate some of the rare folks that shy away from the bumper cars ion favor of the later rubber cars.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
The end value means nothing to me. I am building mine the way I want and I plan to buy one of these for mine. When time comes to sell..... if I sell, and the buyer likes it, then I say it increases the value. But if an NCRS guy is looking at the Vette, he will think that value is now worthless. All in the eye of the potential buyer.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
I thought more about this after I posted..... In my particular case, I have a '78 L-48 Vette. Nothing special, in a year when there was a Silver Anniversary model as well as a Pace Car. Mine was neither, not even an L-82. So I decided to do a Resto-Mod and build it they way I wanted. Very few parts are original on my Vette.

But, if I had one of the special models or if my Vette was factory condition clean, then yes, I believe doing a mod like this would devalue it. In the rubber bumper years, there are very few "valuable" Vettes like there are in the preceding years.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion on what to do with their cars. Some say keep it the way the factory built it and then some say change is good. I say it's your car so do with it what you want. If you plan on selling the car sometime in the future and are worried about the value of it then don't make alot of changes-engine,trans or body parts. If your going to keep it then go with the changes you like or want for it. Some are bought because of the original version and some are for the changes that have been made. The price you get is based on what a person is looking for or what they can afford at the time.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If the the car is Cool when its done then it is cool!
If it looks awesome then potential buyers will more than likely thinks so too.They might not want to spend the dough on a true steel bumper just to not really be able to enjoy it for fear of depreciating or damaging it.
I don't know of many true collectors going after the rubber bumpers yet.(Unless they are extremely clean and low mile.)
Not to say that it won't happen.If it does then this will help not hurt.There are too many out there to be had that would require you to be upsidedown in a restoration.(cost vs value)Sad to say but rare and hard to find helps.If this takes off they might go up soon!:D

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Everyone has their own opinion on what to do with their cars. Some say keep it the way the factory built it and then some say change is good. I say it's your car so do with it what you want. If you plan on selling the car sometime in the future and are worried about the value of it then don't make alot of changes-engine,trans or body parts. If your going to keep it then go with the changes you like or want for it. Some are bought because of the original version and some are for the changes that have been made. The price you get is based on what a person is looking for or what they can afford at the time.
:agree:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
If the the car is Cool when its done then it is cool!
If it looks awesome then potential buyers will more than likely thinks so too.They might not want to spend the dough on a true steel bumper just to not really be able to enjoy it for fear of depreciating or damaging it.
I don't know of many true collectors going after the rubber bumpers yet.(Unless they are extremely clean and low mile.)
Not to say that it won't happen.If it does then this will help not hurt.There are too many out there to be had that would require you to be upsidedown in a restoration.(cost vs value)Sad to say but rare and hard to find helps.If this takes off they might go up soon!:D
:agree:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Value is in the Eye of the beholder. Lets take the Mistress for example, is there anyone here that would disagree that this car is going to be stunning when its done? Would you be able to sell it for whats in it, maybe to the right buyer and that group of buyers is a small group. Never the less the Mistress will be a car that will impress must people that ever see it.

If a custom is done with tasteful choices I think you would raise the value above what it was as an original as long as it's not done to a rare original car, but remember that rarely would you see all of your invested money return at sale, if this is a concern then you should find something else to invest your money into instead of automobiles. I chose to build my ride to suite me and I'm not concerned about resale, I'm having fun building cool cars.

Just my thoughts,
Riggs.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After reading the posts so far and thinking about the comments I have to say I posted this thinking only about custom C3'S. After all if anyone did this to there vette it would be considered a custom, in my mind. :huh:So with this being said the value should exclude a stock late model C3 and the poll should be thought of as the chrome bumper conversion only verses a custom late C3 with other types of mods such as spoilers, ground effects, tall hoods, other custom after market bumpers, side pipes and the list goes on.:lookinup: So in your opinion would the chrome bumper conversion increase, decrease, or stay the same in value as compared to a custom C3 with other after market bumpers if a custom vette is what your looking for. Or maybe this poll just needs to be :toilet :cheers: Mark

·
Registered
149 Posts
After reading the posts so far and thinking about the comments I have to say I posted this thinking only about custom C3'S. After all if anyone did this to there vette it would be considered a custom, in my mind. :huh:So with this being said the value should exclude a stock late model C3 and the poll should be thought of as the chrome bumper conversion only verses a custom late C3 with other types of mods such as spoilers, ground effects, tall hoods, other custom after market bumpers, side pipes and the list goes on.:lookinup: So in your opinion would the chrome bumper conversion increase, decrease, or stay the same in value as compared to a custom C3 with other after market bumpers if a custom vette is what your looking for. Or maybe this poll just needs to be :toilet :cheers: Mark

Since were talking customs, then it really depends on what the buyer wants out of it. But that goes with any highly customized car, not just with chrome vs rubber bumpers. I would assume that many people looking at highly modified cars will be less interested in what style it originally came with and be more concerned with how it is now. In reality it probably wouldn't hurt the value too much and may not affect it all.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look guys don't over think this poll. Its just a value comparison between the late model C3 custom after market bumpers that can be purchased and added to your vette.

Examples

and there are others out there besides these ;)
:cheers: mark

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
At the end of the day it's a custom. If it's done tastefully and done well, i doubt value will be a problem.
The only problem with a custom is finding that person who digs your taste as well should you decide to sell it.
Also, it's bolt on not permanent. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
i personally will most likely going with the rear bumper conversion :) my car's custom anyways and i figure why stop? :thumbsup::D

and you forgot to post the aftermarket bumper he was inquiring about :p

Mistress:

KAOS:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...But if an NCRS guy is looking at the Vette, he will think that value is now worthless...
Possibly not. I'm an NCRS guy. If your modified car was for sale, I might look at it from the aspect of what it would take to return it to stock. That could make it worth less to me as a potential buyer, but it would not make your car worthless.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Possibly not. I'm an NCRS guy. If your modified car was for sale, I might look at it from the aspect of what it would take to return it to stock. That could make it worth less to me as a potential buyer, but it would not make your car worthless.

:thumbsup:

Mike I gotta be honest. Not all NCRS guys are as cool and open minded as you are. :thumbsup:

I was speaking with an NCRS guy at a show down at the Lake. He and I talked for 30 - 45 minutes about everything from Corvettes to traveling to sports. Once he learned that I had customized my Vette to the extent I have he literally shook his head, turned, and walked away cold without a parting word otherwise.

Most I have met will literally pre-judge a person based on the mods done to their non-stock Vette. I have met a few who are cool and open minded, but it seems more and more rare. They all just seem to judge us for what we did to their potentially original Vettes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Late model C3's really aren't the result of what the Corvette was intended to be. At a point, they became overburdened with governmental mandates.
In Less than a decade the C3 went from having options over 400 HP to less than half that.

I personally love the chrome bumper vettes:partyon:
They are valued higher.
Prices will show this in the market.
Aspiring a later model C3 to emulate those earlier models is justified. Just as taking a Pontiac Tempest to clone a GTO.

It's worth more than a Tempest and will draw more buyers if done right.

If maintaining or building value is a concern, you must also balance the idea with the condition of the vehicle you start with and the impact of the change.
Will the changes ever add more value than the cost of the changes?
Are you tearing up a perfect car that might gain more value if you left it alone?

I personally wouldn't mod up a 72. I would try to maintain it's to original status. However, I own a 1980 and with less than 5k in purchase price I feel fine making it my own and free to modify away. As long as it's done with care and consistency I think the value will be there and hopefully keep up with the cost incurred.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've been customizing my 1980 to the way I want. The only thing rare it has going for it is it's a 4 speed, but 195 hp wasn't cutting it. If by chance, sometime down the road the value skyrockets on it :crazy: I still have the original engine sitting on an engine stand and a bunch of the other original parts.

·
Supporting Vendor
400 Posts
My turn at this subject. And first I must say that I am glad that I have created such a buzz...:partyon:

First let me clarify the options available:

1st option is the Bolt on bumper cover that will accept chrome bumpers. This modification is no different than adding a 1980-1982 Bumper cover to your 1974-1979 vette. It is a bolt on that can be switched out at any time. I see this application being utilized by the guy that has a vette with a good paint job but has a wavy or cracked bumper cover or for someone that just wants the look.

My opinion is there is no change in value.

2nd option is the graft on chrome bumper conversion. For many of us that are getting into the Vette hobby (myself included) a true chrome bumper car is just too expensive. There are a TON of 74-82 Corvettes out there that are very affordable and a big reason is because alot of people think that they are ugly. But it is all that some of us can afford so we buy them and live with the rubber bumpers. When I created the Mistress I was in the same boat.

By offering the chrome bumper conversion I am trying to breathe some life back into the later generation of C3 Corvettes and give hope to the guys that so badly want the look of chrome but just cant afford it.
There is no intention to try to devalue the true Chrome Bumper cars. If someone really wants a real Chrome Bumper car then these "clone bumper" cars are not going to have any effect on that guys decision to buy one.

Personally I don't think that I will ever own a "real" chrome bumper car. The Mistress was created based on my needs and style. The bubble back window gives me a TON of room. I can fit a full size stroller, 2 bag chairs and a cooler in the back of my Vette. The biggest complaint that I get from guys that have Chrome cars is that they don't have any room. I also love how the fast back window reminds me of a C2 Vette.

I would hope that this conversion will bring up the value of the later model C3 Corvettes just based on the fact that the demand will increase because more people will be willing to by these cars knowing that they can convert them to a car with the same look and feel as a Chrome Bumper car. :thumbsup:

Bottom line is this. It is your Corvette. Keep it stock or mod the crap out of it. Do what you want with it and enjoy the hell out of it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts