Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Tell GM what you want MOST -- choose from one to five areas ONLY.

• Exterior - Styling

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Exterior - Materials

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Interior - Styling

Votes: 54 46.2%
  • Interior - Materials

Votes: 85 72.6%
  • Interior - Ergonomics

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • Engine - Technology

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Engine - Refinement/NVH

• Engine - Emissions/MPG

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Engine - Power

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • Trans - Auto - Technology

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Trans - Auto - Refinement/Feel

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Trans - Manu - Technology

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Trans - Manu - Refinement/Feel

Votes: 13 11.1%
  • Brakes - Technology

• Brakes - Feel

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Brakes - Strength

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Suspension - Technology

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Suspension - Road Feel

Votes: 19 16.2%
  • Suspension - Handling

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • Weight - Rear Bias

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Weight - Reduction

Votes: 53 45.3%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell GM what you want MOST -- choose from one to five areas ONLY. Thanks for your input. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I am going to have to vote for interior improvements. I was just in a couple different imports and they have me re-thinking the whole corvette thing.

Our interiors are pretty cheap. My son loves to point out the similarities between the vette and one of my $15K HHR's at work. He just has to bust my balls:laughing:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Tricky poll...I would love to have the Vette interior styling and materials on par with the Euro trash, but I would prefer all of the performance aspects of the car keep improving. The Vette is just a nick away from universal praise as one of if not the best handling sports car in the world...Get that first and if I can have a cushy interior on top fine...if not, oh well. By the way, why hasn't anyone in the Corvette community simply contacted all of the car magazines and informed them of the proper way to track a test car so that they don't "slide around in the seats." The Corvette owner's DVD plainly tells the driver to adjust driving position, then fully extend the seat belt and ratchet it back as tight as you need...I've done this and I'll be damned if I can even move under aggressive driving maneuvers. The seats aren't the problem people...only the morons testing the cars for the mags!

·
Registered
846 Posts
The results on the shortcomings of the interior were predictable, but I am somewhat shocked by some of the other results.

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
The results on the shortcomings of the interior were predictable, but I am somewhat shocked by some of the other results.
Agreed. I'm not really surprised people voted for more power, but to me, it's counterproductive until so many other components are advanced.

Surprised to see so many votes for suspension, considering I haven't really seen many guys with upgraded suspensions now, even with all the aftermarket options. No doubt, advancement and adjustability is needed as current platforms already push rwd traction/handling to the limits.

·
Registered
649 Posts
"Shortcomings" the interior , when the stereo in my 04 vette is almost the same as my S-10.... Sad:thud:

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
engine wise on the C7 it will get the Gen V SBC which will use VVT (possibly concentric camshafts like what Dodge is currently using) and gasoline direct injection technology.

The benefit of VVT is of course the engine can change valve opening and closing timing. This will allow a cam to better in low, mid, and high rev ranges instead of tuning an engine for just one rev range. Concentric camshafts allows one cam to alter timing of the intake and exhaust valve independently of each other. This allowed the dodge viper to go from 510BHP to 600BHP while at the same time lowering emissions and improving fuel economy. This gave a near 18% boost in horsepower, this would take the LS7 up to 595BHP from its 505BH rating. At the same time emissions would improve along with fuel economy.

Direct injection of course puts the injectors right into the combustion chamber which gives better control of fuel air mixture. This results in more power and also improves an engines ability to control knock which allows for a higher CR on a low octane fuel. For example the 3.0L engine in the Cadillac CTS produces 270BHP and runs at a 11.7:1 compression ratio while running on 87 octane fuel. That is nearly 12.0:1 which is what the high horsepower prudction big block Corvettes ran in the late 60s early 70s.

Now take our 595BHP 7.0L LS7 and add direct injection to it (which can add as much as 15% power) and you would get 685BHP. This will also further improve fuel economy and lower emissions once more.

The C7 is going to need it, because when the Viper returns its going to add direct injection to its V-10 engine. The Viper V-10 has the benefit of being 8.4L while the LS7 has the benefit of revving past 7,000rpms. I can see the Gen V moving up to 7,500rpms as its stated that the camshaft will be mounted higher up in the block reducing cam train weight and improving long term camshaft wear as a result.

The next few years has the potential to be a very interesting time period for performance cars. I can see what the after market may do to a VVT and direct injected 7.0L monster considering that some have pushed the current LS7 to 700BHP without those added technology. The potential for a 3,000 pound 800BHP C7 Z06 after some after market tuner has gotten its hands on it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
What is up with the percentage column? :huh:

BTW:
I voted weight reduction only because it is the one thing that helps so many other performance areas:
- Acceleration
- Top Speed
- Braking
- Fuel Mileage

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I voted for:
Interior improvements
Weight reduction
Better brakes.

Our seats are the worst I have seen in Sports Cars with the Corvettes performance.

The reason I upgraded to brembos was the superiority of the Porsche brakes.

A lighter car would make everything work better.

I have been able to hold my own in handling against any car.

On the road course the majority of the drivers are not able to use the power of the current Corvette. I have seen people actually slow down when they add horsepower because throttle control seems the be the skill that is lacking the most with the average driver.

:cheers:

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
exterior styling is more important then exterior materials, I think GM should take note of this with the C7 design (though the design may be just about final).

Interior materials beat out interior styling but styling also placed high.

Engine had very few votes with engine technology number 2 and with the C7 slated to get the Gen V VVT direct injection engine that will be taken care of. Engine power was number 1 though I don't think it really needs more power.

Transmission also got few votes, I would say most are happy with where the transmissions are now.

Brakes also got few votes (for good reason brakes are good on the C6).

Suspension got few votes, however with suspension technology getting the most. It shows that people would be happier with a high tech suspension that doesn't perform as well.

Very few want a rear weight bias and many want a diet.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone for your replies. Here's my take on the results:

Three areas for improvement stuck out:

#1 Improve interior quality with emphasis on better materials.
#2 Reduce curb weight, although not necessarily with expensive CF body panels.
#3 Update the suspension technology and improve road feel even though current performance is terrific.

Not surprisingly, besides the insatiable lust for more power, people are very happy with the engine and brakes.

I agree with the results except that my own biggest desire for improvement got ignored -- a more rearward weight bias. The only place the Corvette EVER gets spanked any more is off the line. And moving more weight over the rear tires would help - not to mention make the brakes even better. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Keep the cost down. Give us more exterior color options. It seems to me that the more refinements we ask for, fewer of us will be in the market to afford a new Corvette.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The sound system is complete junk. I stated before my H2 has pretty much the same option, and it sounds beautiful and the Z's sounds terrible. I even had some shmoo coment the other day that he thought a car like this would have a better radio. I know there are acoustic issues and such that are above my level, but really, how can it be night and day like that.

BTW I am not a guy that plays music real loud or anything like that. Sheesh...who would want to? the rattle from the rear speakers makes me bias towards the front.

We are talking ounces, maybe a few pounds at most. If 505hp can over come that then I will take my jacket off and leave it at home and we can call it even.
:WTF

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep the cost down...the more refinements we ask for, fewer of us will be in the market to afford a new Corvette.
True, but Corvette has to continually improve or get left in the dust by competitors.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Better Seats!!!
There is no reason seats should flop around when you drive. Seats are more supportive in a Hyundai.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, according to continuing poll responses the interior REALLY needs improvement. I thought that for GM it wasn't that bad. :huh:

Does GM make ANY interiors good enough for the Corvette??

·
Registered
872 Posts
I think it can be safely said for example if the interior was contracted out to Porsche or Mercedes then that would satisfy the interior wants of the majority if not all c7 buyers.

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I think it can be safely said for example if the interior was contracted out to Porsche or Mercedes then that would satisfy the interior wants of the majority if not all c7 buyers.
Today 01:36 PM
The interior pictured above is what the C6 Corvette should have had at least in the ZR1 model.

Wow, according to continuing poll responses the interior REALLY needs improvement. I thought that for GM it wasn't that bad.

Does GM make ANY interiors good enough for the Corvette??
GM actually makes a good amount of interiors now days that are really good.

Chevy Malibu

Chevy Cruze

Chevy Nox

Buick LaCrosse

Buick regal

Buick Enclave

CTS/ CTS V

Cadillac SRX

Escalade Platinum

GMC Acadia

GMC Terran

1 - 20 of 36 Posts