Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting 10.5 to 11 MPG on my Stock 04 Z :lookinup: . The only mods as of now is the VR-B2 and the High Flow Powerduct with the VR3 Stacker. I am throwing codes like crazy, i know it has to do with the CAI, but i was getting similar mpg before the CAI.

I am going to East Coast Supercharging for a street tune (i was told it's pointless to get on the dyno as i am stock as of now). Will i see better mpg like some on the forum? I live in New York City (Staten Island) and drive in alot of stop and go traffic but i would think it would be alittle better in gas milelage than say a Lamborghini Murcielago :WTF. I wouldn't complain if gas prices were $1.85 a gallon, im paying $3.46 up in NYC, but my main concern is to find out if something is wrong with the car.

Thanks, Patrick :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would think you should be getting at least between 17 to 20 in town...

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I drive my car like I stole it constantly (well not too fast in town), but I definitely run a lot of higher, poor mileage RPMs. I usually average about 17 mpg and when I'm not screwing around I easily get 20+. I have a C6 and it's stock so the mileage should be similar to your Z. Your mileage sucks! There is something wrong. Also most of my daily miles are just around town in stop and go "city" traffic.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I am getting 10.5 to 11 MPG on my Stock 04 Z :lookinup: . The only mods as of now is the VR-B2 and the High Flow Powerduct with the VR3 Stacker. I am throwing codes like crazy, i know it has to do with the CAI, but i was getting similar mpg before the CAI.

I am going to East Coast Supercharging for a street tune (i was told it's pointless to get on the dyno as i am stock as of now). Will i see better mpg like some on the forum? I live in New York City (Staten Island) and drive in alot of stop and go traffic but i would think it would be alittle better in gas milelage than say a Lamborghini Murcielago :WTF. I wouldn't complain if gas prices were $1.85 a gallon, im paying $3.46 up in NYC, but my main concern is to find out if something is wrong with the car.

Thanks, Patrick :cheers:
sorry but that really sucks we average from 18-20mpg...when im checking it and we have lg pros borla stingers and vortex ram air:devil:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its sucks to see that im the only one that gets shitty mileage. I hope it's because of the CAI with codes P171 and P174 H C and no tune. I hope the ECS can get this corrected, i rarely drive the Z now with these gas prices and my shitty mileage. I literally see the needle move after a fill up, sucks ass. :rolleyes: Thanks for the replies everyone. Patrick

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked and disconnected and reconnected from the TB to the CAI atleast 7 times and still have the same problems. I think a street tune is in order. 21 mpg mixed driving? Jeez i wouldnt get that if i pushed the car myslef, lol.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Fuel Trim Lean bank 1 (&2)
I don't have a lot of vette troubleshooting exp., but I would be looking for a vaccuum leak.

My 04 gets ~21 mixed driving.
HTH,
James
That code is expected with the Vararam, I had it with the vararam as well. As well as some low rpm "surging". Not bad, but it's there.

As for the gas mileage, my dramatic drop in gas mileage was because my '02 Z06 cats were clogged at 20k miles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I must be pushin' too hard on the "go pedal"...my '03 Z06 averages about 12mpg in stop and go city driving, but gets about 26-27 on the highway. No codes and the car runs great.

With city/highway combination driving, it will avg. no more than 16mpg. :cheers: 450rwhp/432rwtq of pure FUN...:partyon:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im so sad :( . I will have to look into what Patrick said about the cats, even though my car only has 17,850 miles on it, the cats might very well be clogged. Since i realized my shitty mpg, i've been driving like a bitch (shifting under 2K rpm's :spanked: ). I usually drive around town at 3500 to 4000 rpm's between every shift.

RobG03Z06, what mods do you have to acheive that 450 RWHP? Thats the mark i am looking to hit when the mod bug infects me, i hear they come out like crazy in the summer time :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im so sad :( . I will have to look into what Patrick said about the cats, even though my car only has 17,850 miles on it, the cats might very well be clogged. Since i realized my shitty mpg, i've been driving like a bitch (shifting under 2K rpm's :spanked: ). I usually drive around town at 3500 to 4000 rpm's between every shift.

RobG03Z06, what mods do you have to acheive that 450 RWHP? Thats the mark i am looking to hit when the mod bug infects me, i hear they come out like crazy in the summer time :thumbsup:.

Yeah...the mod bug can be very addicting. lol My ride has MTI ram air, high flow air bridge, ported tb, MTI C2 cam, u/d pulley, MTI stage IIe heads, Textralia OZ700 clutch, Mezier electric w/p, MSD 8.5mm wires, TPIS lt headers, RT x pipe w/high flow cats, Borla stingers and "other" performance mods not related to actually adding rwhp/rwtq. :cheers:

·
Registered
304 Posts
ACR,

Fellow Stinky Islander here. I never get less than 18mpg in my car even if I drive down Richmond avenue at 6000 RPM :devil: You probably hit a crater since theres about 300,000 here lol I have no idea what could be causing it since im no gear head, but Id take Patricks advice, these dudes know what they are talking about.

I did have clogged check valves. I bet you it was the air pollution over 4 years :smack

·
Registered
580 Posts
I got about 20 - 22 around town with my 02 Z, no mods.

Same with my C6 Z.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did have clogged check valves. I bet you it was the air pollution over 4 years :smack
Thanks to our beautiful man made moutain of garbage :lookinup: . I drive down Richmod Ave almost everyday, im usually in the 2,500 to 4,000 range. I def have to get this car checked out.

What color is your Z no_fate? I don't see C5 Z06's very often on the Island, esp in Yellow....base C5's is a diff story. I've been going to Gulf Ave now and then, thats a nice strip, as you can tell by the hundreds of tires tracks :laughing:.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks to our beautiful man made moutain of garbage :lookinup: . I drive down Richmod Ave almost everyday, im usually in the 2,500 to 4,000 range. I def have to get this car checked out.

What color is your Z no_fate? I don't see C5 Z06's very often on the Island, esp in Yellow....base C5's is a diff story. I've been going to Gulf Ave now and then, thats a nice strip, as you can tell by the hundreds of tires tracks :laughing:.
My Z is silver. I don't think I have ever seen your car around. I used to see two blue ones, but not in a good two years. I like our cars rarity around here. Most people don't even know what a Z06 is - hell most other C5 guys don't even know. I see like 3 yellow gallardos around though. Go figure!

Some young kid pulled up on me on the west shore today looking to horse around. He had a sweet BMW Z3 M roadster and I could hear a whine from it so I knew he had something going on under the hood. Thing he didn't realize from behind was I was a Z. I was only in 4 cruising and punched it. He started to pull like crazy to pull up and pass me, once he almost got to my rear I dropped to third LOL he had no idea. Once we hit the wall of traffic he said damn thats a real z06 huh? :D good fun! Too bad there aren't that many moments around the island anymore.

I work in NJ, so I horse around over there mostly. However, gulf ave. is the old 1/4 mile! Thats where I learned how to tear the tires off of my car! :devil: lots of 5.o hang around that area so you have to be careful. I should get off there and try a run or two.

I can't believe these pansies didn't want NASCAR to build a track. I would have been in heaven. Now they are talking another super shopping mall over by there. I'll be moving.

Do you go to that car show on Hylan? I don't know if its started up yet. Def get your baby fixed. Its nice to have some company!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Z is silver. I don't think I have ever seen your car around. I used to see two blue ones, but not in a good two years. I like our cars rarity around here. Most people don't even know what a Z06 is - hell most other C5 guys don't even know. I see like 3 yellow gallardos around though. Go figure!
One of those Gallardos lives right next door to me, well its his girlfriends house, it's a nice car but i rather have my Z06 though, something about it that makes me get all giddy :thumbsup:. I see more C6 Z06's than i do C5 Z's. That will be my next car when this one is paid off, im just really Corvette (Z06) crazy i guess. :cheers:

Some young kid pulled up on me on the west shore today looking to horse around. He had a sweet BMW Z3 M roadster and I could hear a whine from it so I knew he had something going on under the hood. Thing he didn't realize from behind was I was a Z. I was only in 4 cruising and punched it. He started to pull like crazy to pull up and pass me, once he almost got to my rear I dropped to third LOL he had no idea. Once we hit the wall of traffic he said damn thats a real z06 huh? :D good fun! Too bad there aren't that many moments around the island anymore.
I rarely get challanged when im in the Z06. It happened once with a Dodge Neon SRT-4, he pulled up and asked " Does that thing really has 400 HP? Wanna Race?" I said it has over 400 and proceeded to blow his doors off with a short burst, :spanked: lol. I mostly get people who stare at the side of the car and look at the badge and try to figure what "Z06 405 HP" means, and it also has to do with the color i choose ;) .

I work in NJ, so I horse around over there mostly. However, gulf ave. is the old 1/4 mile! Thats where I learned how to tear the tires off of my car! :devil: lots of 5.o hang around that area so you have to be careful. I should get off there and try a run or two.
I tried a few runs when i first got my car last year, got it up to 95 then wussed out. :thud: I got my 1992 Camaro up to about the same speed awhile back aswell. I love bringing my Z06 to Jersey. Where my uncle lives in Clarksburg the roads are right out of a car mag test drive, lol. The last time i went out there i did a 0 to 105 mph and maxed out 3rd gear :devil: , what a rush!!!!!!!!!.:partyon:

Do you go to that car show on Hylan? I don't know if its started up yet. Def get your baby fixed. Its nice to have some company!
I will be getting my car tuned by East Coast Supercharging soon and get the cats checked also, where on hylan is it and what day and time?

Later, Patrick :partyon:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Get a tune. It will solve all of your problems. They can delete the codes. I also had the shop delete my 02 code, CAGS, and top speed limiter

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get a tune. It will solve all of your problems. They can delete the codes. I also had the shop delete my 02 code, CAGS, and top speed limiter
I just changed out the plugs on my Z yesterday with Bosch Platinum Ir Fusion Plugs and the mileage went up alittle.

I have a Vara ram VR-B2 and took it off and the seals around where the airbox connects to the tubes are ripping already and i checked the throttlebody and foound some build up. Can i get these seals somewhere? I tell ya i think i should of left the stock box on, since i got this thing nothing but problems. I will be taking the car to ECS for the street tune, i did not know these cars had top speed limters :surprised.

As of right now my car is getting 10.5-11 mpg while driving uner 2,500 rpms every gear, when i go WOT its under 8 mpg, very pissed off to say the least.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts