Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the road the other day with the windows up and the air on. Out of the blue I hear wind noise sounded like the defroster but it wasn't blowing any air. So I wonder where is it coming from? Well not to worry corvettes have a way of letting you know when there is a problem. About 30 seconds later the right front corner of my removable plexi roof lifted about an inch off the frame work that it is glued to " with a thick bead of silicone ". Has this ever happened to you? I'll bet it has since these cars flex....ALOT! I plan to separate the plexi from the frame work completely and clean and reapply another bead of silicone. But I need to know is there any thing I should know or do to make sure this will fix the problem correctly. Should I use black RTV? That's what it looks like? Should the frame be attached to the car when I set the plexi back on? Let me know what you guys have seen or done to fix this problem. I have heard other people say their top flew off while driving now I know how it can happen!:crazy:

·
Registered
165 Posts
That black RTV can really make a mess on an acrylic top. I fixed my top with clear Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield Sealer, p/n 65AR. Some RTV's aren't very good adhesives, but this stuff sticks really well. It's a much lower viscosity than regular RTV, so it will flow into small gaps. Mask off the areas where you don't want the stuff to get.

Yes, put some weights on your top, with the top on the car, so the adhesive will cure with the top in the correct shape.

I used it on the black trim around the edge of my acrylic top, too. To keep the trim straight while the adhesive cures, do one side at a time. With the top off the car, lean the top against a wall and use the weight of the top to press the trim strip tightly onto the edge of the top.

:buhbye: S.T.W.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you separate the frame from the acrylic and then reseal? I have separated the two and removed all of the old sealant. I was told by an auto glass shop that they never were able to reattach these tops successfully. I made a call to thompson Astro tops "they offer replacement acrylic tops on GM frames. They replace the acrylic and rebuild they old frame. They are $479 Plus shipping and you send them a rebuild able core". They told me that there is a curring process and that I would never be able to reattach my acrylic and make it stay on. I am still going to try something anyway THANKS:thumbsup:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to let everyone know after several phone calls and asking a lot of questions I found an adhesive that allowed me to repair my acrylic top. I used SEM 39747 multi-purpose panel adhesive. This product was recommended by a body shop supply store. After buying it I called the toll free number on the back of the package and talked to a tech rep. He told me to grind both surfaces so the two part adhesive could grip the surfaces and then clamp them together. I followed his instructions to the letter. So far it's working great!.............:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts