Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I hear alot of people here saying that they wish the return of the pop up headlights. IMO the fixed are much nicer. Anyway...how 'bout this compromise (don't laugh). Retractable headlight covers. Still have the stealth look during the day and no popups. :partyon:

Dumb idea?

·
Registered
752 Posts
i like them both really... i like the attention the popups get when you flip em. People always ooh and ahh, but i like the fixed because they look so clean with the car.

retractable isn't such a bad idea either

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
no reason for pop ups or covers with today's lights. IMO the Vette should be about performance. Leave nostalgia for the Camaro

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no reason for pop ups or covers with today's lights. IMO the Vette should be about performance. Leave nostalgia for the Camaro

TOUCHE'

·
Super Moderator
10,114 Posts
I will never forget the first time I saw the new 1963 Corvette on the cover of Motor Trend. WOW! I was smitten. I always loved hidden headlights on vettes, camaros and many others. However, there were more ugly cars out there with hidden headlights than anyone cares to remember.

Bottom line ... a good design is a good design and a bad design .. etc. Some have hidden headlights some don't. Design cues also tend to run in cycles. Continental Kits, wrap around windshields, square back formal roof lines, fins, chrome, and, yes, hidden headlights.

Right now, they are not in style. Right now they require a longer nose for a mechanism that adds weight. Right now they are too rough on the high performing HID bulbs. Right now, they just don't fit on a state of the art sports car.

Someday they will perfect the development of a clear polycarbinate panel with a color coating that can be electrically controlled to fade to clear. When that happens, the design trend will swing back to hidden headlights. I look forward to seeing those new designs. Right now, I'm enjoying the new designs.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Pop-up vs.Fixed headlights

Hay Ilike them both ways I have a o6Zo6 a 04 and Zr1 they all look cool the fix are a littie better Don't have to worry about wires hoses or motors and vacum lines.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Being a child of the 70s, A Vette is not a Vette without popup lights!However, I do think the C6 redesign is very stylish and they have grown on me a little bit. The fact that the C6 doesn't have popups would not put me off from buying one when it comes time to upgrade. The C5 style is smooth, the C6 a bit more agressive, I happen to like both, but if I had to choose, I'd probably stick with the popups ;)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
BOth

I like them both, but if you look at the design of the C6, I am not sure if the pop ups will work out. Well, now that i think about it, the right design may work.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
POP-UPs are the best.The front end looks so much cleaner . The C6 lights are less maintanance but eventually you'll have to replace the covers because of clarity fade and scratches.I vote for pop-ups

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
Someday they will perfect the development of a clear polycarbonate panel with a color coating that can be electrically controlled to fade to clear.
If you have a white Vette, you may be in luck. There IS such a product available right now that may "fit the bill".

This stuff operates on 120VAC so you would need a power inverter and ALOT of custom glasswork to make it work. It probably wouldn't be DOT approved either, but it's a pretty cool idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts