Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing a popping noise coming from the rear end,I'm suspecting that it is the posi clutches as it only pops when the car is in a slight turn at low speeds (less tha 5 MPH) Its been there since we owned the car (2002) but since we did't drive it much I didnt give it much thought ,but mow I am driving much more and it is making me nervous. Could this possibly be the clutches due to the vehicle sitting for a long period of time . A little history ..my wife and I inherited it from her father who owned it since 95,he bought it off the original owner with only 30,000 original miles on it,any suggestions? when the car is going straight .. no noise. could simply changing the fluid solve the problem?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
most likely the clutches are dry. Make some figure 8s and if it doesn't help, add some limited slip additive, it should help. If not, something's most likely messed up inside but the dry clutches are the most likely cause.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
You might want to get 2 bottles of the GM additive. If the oil is old, suck it out, add the 2 bottles and top off with Lucas 85-140 gear oil. If it still pops then those snowflakes are probably shot and/or sloppy clutch preload.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Idea,I'll do that ,thanks I just want to get through the rest of the summer the care is gonna get tore down this winter to start this rebuild project I've been puting off for a long time.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, When Im rolling forward slightly,and going dead straight,nothing ,as soon as I turn the wheel slightly off center,as one wheel starts to turn faster than the other is when it pops.the slwer the louder.If I enter a turn at road speed ,I hear nothing.I supose one tire being lower on PSI would be the same as turning,cause now one tire is shorter than the other if only slightly. I'll mess with it this weekend,I just finished rebuilding the carb last night,so Im trying to fine tune the engine,once I get that squared away I'll move on to the next issue.:cheers: :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts