Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or two ago I wrote of a deep popping, not the normal 'back talk' when letting off the gas and a hesitation off idle.

Problem: after 23 thou on the clock a header bolt came loose by about two or three flats; that is to say, very, very little. Tightened it up and the popping went away. Drove it daily since and the computer seems to have re-learned what the engine needs now that it doesn't suck a tad of air. As such, the off idle stumble is now gone too. Go figure. Two lessons here; first, tighten the header bolts from time to time. Second, everything effects the darn computer.

Now a question. After having three gas caps replaced on my 05 and two on my 08 why is it that Corvette can not make a damn gas cap that does not come loose and go belly up once a year or more? :crazy: One would think there would be a service bulletin on this one.

Is it apathy, a plot or don't they give a damn? It is so aggravating to have to keep replacing a damn gas cap because such a simple thing can't be done correctly. It is more aggravating when you are driving in the damn rain and you get the gas cap message on the DIS.

Hell, my 92's cap lasted perfectly until 2005 - if it wasn't broke why did they "fix it"? Bad move.:down:

'dog

·
Registered
535 Posts
dam header bolt!!....interesting :rolleyes: Good to know..How were the remaining header bolts??

My gas cap is ok, never had a problem so far....hopefully this will be the last time you replace it

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crusher,

Only two bolts were loose, #7, rear bolt, by about three flats and #2 by about one flat. All others were tight: go figure. Headers were on car before it was 24 hrs old - keep an eye on them.

Wanna' trade gas caps - I need another one and now we have NO GM DEALERSHIPS AT ALL in Hanover,PA. Swell!!

'dog

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cap just ordered - thanks . . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
535 Posts
No problem :thumbsup:

Rockauto has dirt cheap prices..... I have bought a few things from them in the past.

I bet the dealer would charge you over 20 bucks :crazy:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts