Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving this weekend my M20 kept popping out of gear in 3 of the 4 gears. It happened with 1st and 2nd under heavy load and 3rd usualy when down shifting. The trannie is a fresh rebuild, shifts smooth, no noise or grinding. This just started yesterday. Ideas? Shifter linkage out of adjustment? Low oil?

Thanks
Wade

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
This can be caused by a few things:

Check the motor mounts, loose motor mounts can cause the motor/tranny to "jump" around causing the tranny to pop out of gear.

Check the top cover bushing in the shifter area.

Check the linkage rods/cables.

Since this is a fresh rebuild it is unlikely that you'd need to check the shift forks, sliding sleeves, or gears for wear.

Sounds to me like the shop that did the rebuild should diagnose and repair this problem for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Double check the adjustment. If you're running a Hurst shifter, popping out of 2 and 3 could be improperly adjusted gear stops. If the stops are too tight, it won't be able to get fully engaged in those 2 gears for sure and possibly 1st also. Don't let it go too long, you'll have more wear on the gears and synchro's and it'll never stop coming out of gear without going back in for new parts.

To adjust, put the shifter in neutral, install the pin to lock it in, then pull the 1-2 linkage. It should slip in and out of the lever with ease. For the stops, shift it into 2nd, have someone hold the lever hard into gear, then adjust the stop until you just feel contact. Lock it down, do the 3rd gear stop, and you're done..

:cheers:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds to me like the shop that did the rebuild should diagnose and repair this problem for you. Good luck.
Uhhhhhh, that would be me......:rolling: Thanks I will check all of those. I think I can discount the motor mounts as they are solid one peice. The gears, sliders and shift forks were all in really good shape and I replaceed all the syncros and bearings with a quality rebuild kit.

Thanks
Wade

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Double check the adjustment. If you're running a Hurst shifter, popping out of 2 and 3 could be improperly adjusted gear stops. If the stops are too tight, it won't be able to get fully engaged in those 2 gears for sure and possibly 1st also. Don't let it go too long, you'll have more wear on the gears and synchro's and it'll never stop coming out of gear without going back in for new parts.

To adjust, put the shifter in neutral, install the pin to lock it in, then pull the 1-2 linkage. It should slip in and out of the lever with ease. For the stops, shift it into 2nd, have someone hold the lever hard into gear, then adjust the stop until you just feel contact. Lock it down, do the 3rd gear stop, and you're done..

Tim,
Maybe a realy dumb question but are the stops the 2 bolts on the upper part of the shifter on either side of the shifter handle? The rods with the shifter locked into neutral slide freely in and out of gear.

poncherello
No worries, this was my first attempt at rebuilding a trannie. Just the fact that it shifts shocked me.:D

Thanks
Wade

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
The only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked.

On the front and back of the shifter, there are usually 2 bolts with locknuts. 3/8 dia, about 1 to 1 1/2 long. Those are the stops. The idea is to prevent "overtravel" of the shifter when your slammin' gears. That can bend forks.

See if you can find a picture of a Hurst Competition Plus- the stops are really evident..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked.

On the front and back of the shifter, there are usually 2 bolts with locknuts. 3/8 dia, about 1 to 1 1/2 long. Those are the stops. The idea is to prevent "overtravel" of the shifter when your slammin' gears. That can bend forks.

See if you can find a picture of a Hurst Competition Plus- the stops are really evident..

Cool we are talking the same thing here. I know exactly the ones that you are refering to. So I just follow the directions that you posted and I should be adjusted correctly. I am thinking that this is probably my problem as I never adjusted them and as I remember they were not contacting anything. It was one of those, "I keep meaning to do it" things. :thud: Luckily the car has not been driven much. Thanks for the info!.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts