Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After official but grainy images leaked yesterday, Porsche has now released high resolution images and complete details on the GT3 RS 4.0, making this car as official as Obama’s birth certificate.

Rumors about the ultimate GT3 proved to be true, with this race-inspired machine making 500-hp from a larger displacement 4.0-liter flat-six engine. At 50-hp more than the GT3 RS model, that’s a full 125-hp per liter. Combined with a curb weight of just 2,998 lbs (with a full tank of gas), Porsche claims a 7:27 lap time around the Nurburgring – faster than the Carrera GT, but well off the 7:18 claim of the GT2 RS.

The official engine specs list 500-hp at a lofty 8250 rpm, while 339 lb-ft of torque is available at 5750 rpm. Porsche claims a 0-60 mph time of 3.8 seconds and a top speed of 193 mph.

Hitting that ultra-low curb weight is the result of extensive use of carbon fiber components, in particular for the seats, front fenders and luggage compartment lid. The interior is typically sparse and the suspension component have even been swapped out for similar parts to the ones used on Porsche racing cars. Being a track-derived machine that’s intended to be used on the circuit, Porsche has worked to create 426 lbs of downforce through extensive aerodynamics.

Just 600 versions of the GT3 RS 4.0 will be offered, priced from $185,000. Oh, and as expected, it’s available exclusively with a 6-speed manual transmission.
Get more: Porsche GT3 RS 4.0, plus VIDEO at AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
980 Posts
500hp out of a naturally aspirated 4.0 liter flat 6 is just ridiculous!!!

That is two cylinders down, and 3 liters smaller than the LS7 and makes essentially the same power output.

:thud:

It is amazing how far engine development has come in 5 years, thank God for horsepower wars. :partyon:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
500hp out of a naturally aspirated 4.0 liter flat 6 is just ridiculous!!!

That is two cylinders down, and 3 liters smaller than the LS7 and makes essentially the same power output.

:thud:

It is amazing how far engine development has come in 5 years, thank God for horsepower wars. :partyon:
Well the Z06 delivers it 500hp 2000rpm sooner than the Porsche. And 130 ft-lbs more torque available 1000 rpm sooner.

And it was designed nearly a decade ago and delivers 15/25 EPA certified mileage.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Well the Z06 delivers it 500hp 2000rpm sooner than the Porsche. And 130 ft-lbs more torque available 1000 rpm sooner.

And it was designed nearly a decade ago and delivers 15/25 EPA certified mileage.:thumbsup:
You can buy (2) ZO6 for the price of one of the GT3 and have money left over for mods :D

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Think of it like this... it's within a half second of the C6 ZR1's Nurburgring lap time while being down 138 horsepower.

That says a lot for the car's handling abilities and overall dynamics.
I'd like to see what the ZR1 could do with no change but the wheels and tires to the 2012 cup units.

But the Porsche 911 GT cars have always been crazy good track machines

·
Registered
980 Posts

Preaching to the Corvette choir here...you don't have to change anyone's mind on this forum.

I'm just amazed at how much power they squeezed out of a NA 6 cylinder, all other figures aside....Think about it this way. The Porsche makes 500 hp out of 4 liters (125hp/L). If the Z06 had the same ratio, it would make 875 naturally aspirated ponies. You've got to give credit where credit is due, the engine is pretty effin sweet...even though it may sound like Hoover compared to the Z06 :laughing:

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
look at how the tires fit the top of the fenders, why can't corvette do that?? just looks better than the 2-3 inch gap
we also do not know if that is its ride height, or if it is that low because of downforce at speed....

·
Registered
212 Posts
That car seems to be awesome! I know they cost a ton more than a Vette and the numbers appear to show that Z06s and ZR1s are faster or more powerful or any number of things.

I am a proud and happy Corvette owner and I think my '09 Z51 is a wonderful car. However, those doggone Porsches are just so fast and handle so well that they belie the numbers compared with the Vettes. I once tried to catch a 911 with my '06 LS2 and it was embarrassing to see him pull away. And it was just a late model 911, not even one of the GT or Turbo models. I no longer underestimate those things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts