Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a cam only c5 making 407rwhp with the stock ls6 intake mainfold, stock ls6 maf, stock ls6 maf and vararam. would it be worth it to port my throttle body or would i be better off with the velocity stack that i got with my vararam b2?

·
Registered
151 Posts
What is a "velocity stack" ?

Mark

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I would go with stock or ported,while a velocity stack might make a couple ft lbs of torque on a stock car,a v-stack is a restriction on a car with intake mods,especially at higher rpms.The v-stack is added material that is the opposite of porting actually.
I'm also sceptical on a velocity stack on a EFI motor.Once the air goes thru the throttle body,any affect from the v-stack would be negated by the intake air getting pressurized in the intake manifold.I actually ported and polished my own t-body.I shaped the "cone" more like a v-stack.The instructions are on www.ls1howto.com

my 2 cents.....v-stack on EFI is a scam.....call mythbusters..

·
Registered
618 Posts
the idea of the velocity stack is that it's supposed to decrease turbulance into the throttlebody and intake. in theroy this increases airspeed and thus torque...however the increase isn't that noticable (i have one on my 97 silverado). I'd reccomend the ported throttlebody, this will increase the volume of air getting into the intake and thus give you more power. the air velocity will increase on it's own over the same cross sectional area as the stock induction tubing.

granted the ported throttlebody is a little (okay alot) more expensive, but well worth the price in the long run.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a ported stock TB on my 01 SS and love it. Got it from BoWhite on Ls1Tech, his Web site is portsculptor.com I believe. He claims around 8-10 at the wheels, I believe he has a graph up on the page too.

My SS is a mild bolt-on car but, I noticed a little bit more pull and a lot better throttle response.

·
Registered
655 Posts
You will get a smoother throttle with a ported and polished throttle body, not much of the SOTP improvement though. Now for the "velocity stack". Take it and put in a planter to hold up droopy plants, works real well for that.:huh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts