Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factor GS wheels ... ARG!!!! One is flaking clearcoat like your skin after sunburn. One has paint chunks coming off in the "barrel" of the wheel. Tape waits keep coming off revealing shiny aluminum.

I am due for 4 new tires... and I have a great powder-coater near me.

I'm thinking of having them completely stripped and powdercoated solid gloss black.

I can do this whole project for about $50 per wheel... and that's a lot cheaper then buying new AFS wheels.

Whatcha think? I think it could look wicked.

·
Registered
990 Posts
:) Thats what the general should have done in the first place. Big talk earlier about the very same topic. You should go for it, the price sounds real good for what your going to get. You'ell be the hit of the GS owners group :)

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Michael Malone Smith said:
:) Thats what the general should have done in the first place. Big talk earlier about the very same topic. You should go for it, the price sounds real good for what your going to get. You'ell be the hit of the GS owners group :)
The only thing is I won't have the polished lip....

·
Registered
990 Posts
Chrome lug nuts ? chrome valve stem caps ? :laughing:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I was thinking of doing it to my chrome zr1 knock off's they too are flaking and chipping..

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Why can't they mask the lip and powder coat the rest of the wheel? If I'm not mistaken on American Choppers they did that with the center hub of one of the bikes wheels. You should ask your powder coater about it.

B

·
0 Posts
Masking the wheel would be difficult to get perfect. I wanted to do the same thing to my wheels and leave the outer 3/8 inch lip polished or machined but I doubt it can be done with the powder coat. Patrick, if it can be done, count me in with your guy!!!! Get on that and get back to me ASAP!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BIG LAW MAN said:
Masking the wheel would be difficult to get perfect. I wanted to do the same thing to my wheels and leave the outer 3/8 inch lip polished or machined but I doubt it can be done with the powder coat. Patrick, if it can be done, count me in with your guy!!!! Get on that and get back to me ASAP!
Ok, I'll give J&J a call this week, want to get this done sooner than later.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Didn't you just get new tires? How many miles were you able to get out of the DRs? Are you going with DRs again? I like the idea of powder-coating but without the polished lip, the tire would blend into the wheel to much for me. I would need that polished lip.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
billyhay said:
Didn't you just get new tires? How many miles were you able to get out of the DRs? Are you going with DRs again? I like the idea of powder-coating but without the polished lip, the tire would blend into the wheel to much for me. I would need that polished lip.
Hey Billyhay! Wassssup?!

The DR's have about 1/3 the life left. I just got a great deal on another set! Couldn't pass it up. I hope to time it right so the powdercoating is done just after these tires are done. If not, I'll remount the old ones and then mount the new ones afterward. More money that way.

My fronts are cupping bad on the inside of the tire:( Gotta get those replaced though.

I am going to try the wheels without the polished lip. If it looks bad, I will make these wheels my road-racing wheels for next year - and I'll get new rims for normal driving 'round.

:thumbsup:

B

·
0 Posts
Soooo, what the hell did they say? Can a powder be done with the outter lip either polished or machined????? Inquiring minds want to know!!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BIG LAW MAN said:
Soooo, what the hell did they say? Can a powder be done with the outter lip either polished or machined????? Inquiring minds want to know!!
I'll give them a ring ring tomorrow... ran out of time today. :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Patrick, when you get them done post pics I have been thinking about ditching the polished lip also :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ask the guy if he'll do a group purchase, you might be able to send that guy a lot of business from other GS owners who are as pissed as me about the flaking!

B

·
0 Posts
Well I just talked to the owner of Wheels America in Arlington Heights, and according to him, you cannot powder coat and then machine or polish anything. The coating will crack. Also he says you dont want to try to mask off the outter lip because it will never be perfectly even all the way around.

So if you really want powder coated wheels, you will not have the contrast of the lip being polished.

He did tell me that when they do my wheels, they will paint them first. Then bake them to harden the paint. Then they will machine the lip and after that they actually instead of using a regular clear coat paint, they use a CLEAR POWDER COATING! So the entire wheel is protected by a clear powder coat. This sounds like it will be very durable.

All that for $109 per wheel and a 24 hour turn around time!!!

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BIG LAW MAN said:
Well I just talked to the owner of Wheels America in Arlington Heights, and according to him, you cannot powder coat and then machine or polish anything. The coating will crack. Also he says you dont want to try to mask off the outter lip because it will never be perfectly even all the way around.

So if you really want powder coated wheels, you will not have the contrast of the lip being polished.

He did tell me that when they do my wheels, they will paint them first. Then bake them to harden the paint. Then they will machine the lip and after that they actually instead of using a regular clear coat paint, they use a CLEAR POWDER COATING! So the entire wheel is protected by a clear powder coat. This sounds like it will be very durable.

All that for $109 per wheel and a 24 hour turn around time!!!
That sounds like a cool deal, man. I'm going for the all black, jack.

B

·
0 Posts
Better yet, I found a coupon in an issue of Motor Trend that drops the cost down to $99 a wheel!

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
BLB what color are you going with on your wheels?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts