Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power door locks are gettin no power at all in my 81 vette. I installed a new door lock actuator but there is still no luck. What can I do from here? Any suggestions? Diagrams or anything? I know I need to check the grounds and power wires first. I really was hoping for some pictures or any good suggestions. I need someone who has done this before or had any experience in this area of work. Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
Do you have a haynes manual? I do and it has some diagrams of the power lock circuit. If I had a scanner I'd send it to you..

·
Registered
749 Posts
a GM shop manual should have been the first item you bought when you got your vette. you have alot of engine mods, but no manual???

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'd suggest checking the fuses and relays first then check the wires going to the door through the door jam. I was had to replace those wires for my windows.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have a Haynes manual and the production manual. We looked throught it all and nothing really told us what color went to what. We foudn that it has power but doesn't function. Ran a wire straight to battery and to lock wire and it locked! Then did the reverse to the unlock wire and same reaction. Now we just need to find out how to rewire the switch. I will know more about it tomorrow(Day 2).

·
Registered
749 Posts
remove the switch and clean with alcohol or an electrical contact spray cleaner (radio shack) over the years, the copper contacts get "funny" from dust, etc and may not be making a good contact.

·
Registered
114 Posts
:agree:
The trouble with the power door locks is that if one switch is faulty, it renders both sides useless ( the actuator current runs thru both switches regardless of which one you are pressing) Totally agree with mga - pull out both switches, give them a good drowning in alcohol cleaner or similar, working them back and forth at the same time. Might pay to let'em soak for a bit too. Then get a good blast of compressed air into them via the gap between the switch and the bezel. Make sure the pins on the back are clean and that the five hole plugs on the loom are in good condition too. Boring job, but it fixed mine!

·
Registered
90 Posts
The same thing happened to me & I had to replace the door lock swiches & pigtails ... it worked then

1 - 8 of 8 Posts