Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So along with the new car there will be new engines. With that in mind I wanted to share what IMHO the power of the new engines should be.

For the regular C7 and GS
450hp, over 400 ft/lb torque. A more powerful V8 than mercs basic 6.2 AMG as tuned for the C63 and the M3.

For the Z06. Nowadays 505 is not enough. 580hp. A little more than the Ferrari 458 Italia and Mercs SLS

And for the ZR1, 700hp, enough to burn Lambos on the road

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
The Corvette simply can not continue to gain horsepower with each new generation this is simply not practical. Pretty soon the base model Corvette will have 800BHP.........

It will be more important to drop weight on the C7 then to gain horsepower. When you gain horsepower you only improve one dynamic of what people want in a performance car. When you drop weight you improve all areas of a vehicles performance (handling, braking, and acceleration).

So instead of going for 450BHP they would be ok with just 425BHP and 3,000 pounds. The latter Corvette would have a power to weight ratio of 7.0:1 while the former 7.1:1 (based on same weight as current model). However beyond the acceleration edge the latter would have it will also have less weight to change direction and stop.

Also if they added some form of fast shifting transmission then with 425BHP and 3,000 pounds you would be looking at 0-60 in 3.8 seconds in base form.

I know what some people will say, but they are going backwards (as if horsepower is all that matters) when in reality its the end product that matters. Is the C7 Corvette going to be better then the C6 Corvette and this comes down to a great amount of factors far beyond just horsepower.

So I say 3,000 pounds and 425BHP for base (maybe 450BHP for GS model) and 550BHP for the Z06 model (as well as keeping the weight down to 3,000 pounds). Give the Zr1 650-700BHP that would be fine.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The Corvette simply can not continue to gain horsepower with each new generation this is simply not practical. Pretty soon the base model Corvette will have 800BHP.........

It will be more important to drop weight on the C7 then to gain horsepower. When you gain horsepower you only improve one dynamic of what people want in a performance car. When you drop weight you improve all areas of a vehicles performance (handling, braking, and acceleration).

So instead of going for 450BHP they would be ok with just 425BHP and 3,000 pounds. The latter Corvette would have a power to weight ratio of 7.0:1 while the former 7.1:1 (based on same weight as current model). However beyond the acceleration edge the latter would have it will also have less weight to change direction and stop.

Also if they added some form of fast shifting transmission then with 425BHP and 3,000 pounds you would be looking at 0-60 in 3.8 seconds in base form.

I know what some people will say, but they are going backwards (as if horsepower is all that matters) when in reality its the end product that matters. Is the C7 Corvette going to be better then the C6 Corvette and this comes down to a great amount of factors far beyond just horsepower.

So I say 3,000 pounds and 425BHP for base (maybe 450BHP for GS model) and 550BHP for the Z06 model (as well as keeping the weight down to 3,000 pounds). Give the Zr1 650-700BHP that would be fine.

Pretty Much my thoughts on it. Horsepower is Great however, Porsche engineers have produced a vehicle that can accomplish 0-60 in 2.6 seconds and the Quater mile in 10.7.

Porsche 911 Turbo s

Numbers like that thought impossible with a mere 500bhp.
The ZR1 with Roughly 140 more horsepower and 300 less lbs is perpetually stuck in the 11's in base form.

{TRACTION}

Obviously horsepower shouldn't be the major focus here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts