Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my steering has been rather loose and after finally taking a look I am seeing the steering box is not the issue as I thought but the connection to the power steering control valve is loose. clink clink back and forth. So it looks like the only way to fix this is to replace the entire valve? is this correct? I am guessing I then should replace the hoses? I have been putting some bucks away for a rack and pinion from Josh so my question is will this part stay loose or will it break? Should I be worried and get this part ASAP or order the rack and pinion and wait till I can get it in? Thoughts?

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
What about just rebuilding it?

I've been hunting down a leak and it seems to be the valve, so i am also interested in the responses here.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I see it is rebuild able. It looks like the Ball Control valve is the issue so the housing it sits in is warn out perhaps. I am not sure of the time it will take or any special tools. the issue is this is my daily driver so I can not take it down for more then a weekend.....Anyone rebuilt one of these? Gary? You out there....

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
Yeah but I'm going home for the day!

You can rebuild the valves and there are 2 kits out there for them as you saw. Is it loose with the car off? That might not be the issue as once the pump is going it might tighten it up.

If the valve is leaking then as long as the bore isn't pitted you can rebuild it but if it is then you might be just wasting time and money. I would not buy a rebuild valve today, too many leak or are not balanced. New ones are better.

If your valve isn't balanced then the steering will feel more sensitive in one turning direction then the other. Following the procedure in the manual you will be able to fine tune it.

I don't work on the valves anymore because the price of the parts on top of any fair labor just doesn't make it worth it for me or the customer. I just recommend a new valve if it is found to be the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gary. Should I also just replace the cylinder and hoses? I see there is a kit for all of them.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
why replace them if they are not a problem? If the hoses are leaking snug them up, they are like brake lines and have flared seats. I measured new hoses against originals and found the radius was not the same and resulted in the new hoses just fitting. I wish I kept those originals because they were still good. The RAM (cylinder) can go bad if the chrome rod is left extended in bad weather and starts to pit causing a leak. Then you need a new RAM, the other end is rebuildable with a seal kit but again you might not need it.

OK now I'm leaving!:buhbye:

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so my control valve is bad and my pump is leaking as well as the RAM. So instead of putting in the rack and pinion for 1400 I was thinking of putting in a Borgeson this will replace the steering box and the RAM and the control valve and the pump and hoses and will reduce the ratio to 12:1 with better tech in the box. Here is the link anyone used one of these?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-999032/overview/

Gary did not have anything negative to say about these so if anyone has put one in I would love to hear about your thoughts....

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
So with that system, all there is in the car is the pump and the box? Everything else is eliminated? Seems like a tidy thing if so and certainly a welcome upgrade if the steering feel is better.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
And FWIW, the pump, ram and control valve can all be "rebuilt" with seal kits. Might cost you $150 total, assuming all the "hard" parts are still good and reusable.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes but I want to upgrade the steering and if I am going to put in the work I would like to come out ahead also. Plus I only have a weekend to do the work this is my daily driver so taking things apart to rebuild and then finding I need "X" is not an option.....But then again maybe I am just justifying for what I want....:laughing:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts