Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a horrible leaking power steering control valve and I went and bought a refurbished one from the local autoparts store. I installed it and when I added fluid to the pump the wheel went outta control. The power steering hasnt worked for a while now because of the control valve. Is the problem still with the new valve or with the actual pump? Any thoughts? Any word will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i wish i knew more about how stuff worked

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I've seen a bad control valve make the wheels turn right at Idle or just kinda sit there & shudder. If you have all the air out of the system and it feels like you have power assist I'll bet you got a bad valve

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I had the same problem!
At the end of the valve there is a small removable cap. It should be facing the driver's side tire. Pop it off and there is an adjuster nut.
That is all I can tell you.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The control valve needs to be balance. To do this remove the ram where is bolts unto the frame. You must do this. Remove the ram and with the car jacket up, the motor running slowly adjust the nut under the red cap on the end of the unit until the rod neither moves in or out, just sits there in a neutral position. Lock the nut down and the steering is balanced. Replace the ram in the bracket on the frame and you are done.
This is required on most control valves and the ram must be free from the frame bracket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts