Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my power steering leak fixed. And to be honest, I was SO glad to get it fixed, I forgot to check the fluid level in the reservoir. About a week later (and 50 miles), I noticed a "grinding" noise sometimes when I would turn left. Then I thought...the fluid level :surprised!! When I checked the reservoir, it wasn't even registering on the dip stick. It took about 7oz of fluid to fill it back up. Now the question....did it hurt anything in the steering?

·
Registered
717 Posts
Power steering pumps are pretty tough and seem to be able to withstand your scenario numerous times. Having said that, Just don't ever let it happen again dammit:rolling:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Power steering pumps are pretty tough and seem to be able to withstand your scenario numerous times. Having said that, Just don't ever let it happen again dammit:rolling:
..:agree:

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I've done that a few times too.
Mine keeps leaking (just put teflon tape on all the threaded ends this weekend), and I hope I got it fixed! When it starts to whine, I put more fluid in. But, I have run it 30 miles before getting home, and it seems to work fine filled up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Does your pump still make grinding noises when you steer? If things are quiet, then most likely you haven't done any damage. If it is still making noises under normal steering situations, then you probably need a new pump or a rebuild is in order with your current pump.
Jim

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you run it dry and are far from home, just cut the belt and run in manual mode. It won't kill you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts