Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like alot of times my posts create huge arguments, or stir up some flaming on the boards, so before I post this I would just like to apologize if anything gets out of hand.

I like to believe this is a place where people can share their opinions and ideas with others and see what people think. Anyway, here goes...

I've heard rumors (not sure if they're true) that the base C7 would roughly be the performance equivalent of today's z06. Does anyone else think this is a bad idea on GM's part? Hear me about before you get angry with that statement.

I would think that alot of people are very happy with the 400/430 horsepower base models. This amount of power seems to be the happy medium of fast cars. I think that alot of people who buy a base model corvette buy it just because it's something comfortable to drive. It's not ridiculously fast like the z06, but it will still give you a thrill to drive and leave a good share of cars on the road in the dust.

I don't know how many people here have driven a z06 here, but it is FAST. No doubt this is a great thing, but it's dangerously fast. 505 is ALOT of horsepower, and even behind the hands of a good driver of any other car, the car be dangerous if you can't handle its power. I think the 400 horsepower vette can be dangerous too, but it's a much better model to "learn" how to drive a fast car with.

I'm not sure really how many people will agree with me, cause I think alot of the people on this forum are enthusiasts of driving fast and getting performance out of their vette, not just a casual driver. So maybe try and step outside of that for a second. Anyway, I guess my 2 cents would be that I think bumping the base up to 505 is a little too powerful, and might drive away some buyership. Offer a mid 400 number base model, and still have available the ridiculously fast ones liek the z06 and ss for those who want it.

Again, I'm not sure if any of this is true, and even if it's not, I still think it provides a good conversation to be had.

·
Registered
759 Posts
There is no such thing as too fast...

we have people pushing 1000hp round here.

there may be too fast for you, but probably not for the average Z-07 owner

I can promise you there is few here who thinks their cars fast enough!!!

note the 15 venders to the left who LIVE off making very fast cars even FASTER!!!

you know what car is dangerously fast...a Yugo ...at any speed was dangerous!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any car and be dangerous at any speed. Ture uping the power will force new owners to up thier learning curve but I think the Corvette has one of the better "ture enthusiasts vs. phony" ratio in the bissness and most drivers will know what "their getting in to".

Plus there's the improve or die facter!

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
well the 08 is already at 430 and its probably gunna keep going up but i see your point and how it can be dangerous

but its the drivers responsibility to drive it the way they can handle it JMO

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely agree, it is the driver. I guess I'm looking at it from more of marketing standpoint...whereas I'm wondering if 505 might be too much for the guy that just wants something pretty fast to cruise around in, but not a rocketship...most likely the older age demographic.

And also price...if the z06 is 70-75k now, and they wanna produce somethin roughly equivalent too it for the c7, I can't really see how they'd be able to shave off 25k to keep it in the 45-55k range like the c6 now. The base models 45-55k price is a big factor in people buying it.

I'm not saying the z06 is at a bad price either...its fantastically priced...i'm just saying that if they make the base model the same price as the z06...they're chopping off a big chunk of people that buy corvettes.

·
Formerly DOC7000
4,513 Posts
I can see how they can get the LS3 to 500BHP with the help of VVT and direct injection without costing as much as the LS7.

Also take away the exotic materials........ they can get the price down and it wont be as fast as the Z06 but it could be close.

I do think that this would just be more power then is needed for the base Corvette though.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I think they would like to get 80% of the current z06 per. in the c7, like they did with the C6 vs. C5 Z06. I think 475hp/450tq with 3000lbs is an excellent starting point.

·
Super Moderator
10,159 Posts
The question, as I understand it, is "What is too much performance for a base vette - or is there such a thing?"

Certainly the market place is the best place to determine the decision, IMO. From '57 through '71 there were never less than 4 engine options - and 6 options in many of those years. Consumers - you and me in earlier versions - bought what they could afford and / or what they were comfortable driving.

For example, in 1968 the base engine was a 300HP 327. For 2.4% of the base price, you could get 350HP, 4.6% got you a 390HP 427CID, 7.1% put a 400HP BB under the hood and a 10% option got you the 435HP BB. The L88 was also available for 21.9% of the base price. In 1969 the number of choices increased by one (counting the optional Al heads). I chose these two years because neither smog regs, safety regs, nor gas shortages had influenced either year. The point is that enough of all of these engines were purchased, that GM continued to option them - until they were legistated down to one in 82 - one in California seven years earlier.

Many, perhaps nearly all of us DCers would always check the highest HP option we can afford. But I agree that not all Corvette buyers desire, nor are adequately skilled to drive a car above a certain performance level. GM must sell 33,000+ Corvettes each year and cannot ignore a portion of the targeted demographic.

Since the introduction of the Z06 (a 60% of base option), I've said that GM should offer a significant step up from the base engine that should only be available with the Z51 option. This LS-(Z51) when combined with the base engine, the LS7 and the SS engine would meet that 4 engine option that made sense for the vette until legislated away. The cost to emissions qualify a drivetrain is very high so we should not expect to see 6 optional engines ever again. But maybe 4 would be enough.

BTW, the optional exhaust providing 6HP and 4tq is not, IMO, a separate engine from the base engine.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
:agree: :agree: Maybe the same displacement in the "Z51 engine", but perhaps a larger cam, better heads, ect. for another 40hp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts