Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down and bought a Diablosports Predator. $320 shipped and another $20 for the cable to download from my PC. Reasons why: TM is completely disabled on the M-6; 93 octane tune will advance timing and that is always good; their tune leans it out, and at 7000' leaning is needed; CAGS is gone, not that it bothered me that much, frankly; can turn the fans on stronger at 200 degrees--they run on variable voltage on the C6 I've heard, future updates are downloadable, and if I could figure it out, I could adjust timing/fuel even more to optimize it--or find someone who knew what he was doing to help. All in all, worth it to me. I know most feel a dyno tune is the best way to go, but for 2/3s the price, I think I will get more than 2/3s the benefit. Just have to tell my wife I bought it...she's still ticked about the Firestorm 9mm I bought 2 weeks ago....:spanked:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Sounds great waiting to hear what kind of power gains you get. Inquiring minds want to know...:D

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
Take your wife to Spring Mountain and let her rip the track up in the Vette, then she'll be discussing mods with you :D Trust me on this :devil:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She ordered a stick in her '78 Z-28 and still has her '87 Grand National, so has always been a car girl. Concerning power gains, that will be interesting. I'm really looking for better throttle response off the line. That is the one area I'm not happy with. It may well be me being too delicate. Driving T/As or Zs for so many years--I always thought of them as tough cars. The Vette is a pretty girl--who happens to be an Olympic hurdler, but I keep seeing how pretty she is, not how strong. :D With the TM gone, spark advance and the much freer breathing--and colder, air coming in, I expect the whole to be greater than the sum of the parts. Will see next weekend! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got away with "now you don't have to buy me a Father's Day present..." of course I had used that line when I bought the Taurus .38 snubbie :spanked: ...anyway--it feels like there is more power at wot--especially at the top of 1st and 2nd. CAGS is gone, too of course. With regard to Torque Management, I think I feel more power--or maybe responsiveness, although a bit subtle, at less than wot but still aggressive throttle opening in first. My guess is that would be where TM would start to come into play. I don't think you'd see it in any other gear--at least to the same extent. It's really tough to factor in the open shroud getting only outside air to the K&N Aircharger and the Predator tune to figure what comes from where, but there is no doubt the car is more responsive since the tune at aggressive throttle input. The other funny thing is when it's cold and I am starting out in first, I don't notice higher rpms, but the car is more responsive to lighter throttle input. This is since opening the shroud, but more so now.

Once I get the confidence, I'm going to lean things up a bit with the tool and should get a bit more power here at this altitude. All in all, including the fact that you have a good scan tool for codes as well as the other stuff, I feel the Diablo was worth it. You really can do anything with it the fancier, costlier tuning programs offer--assuming you follow instructions, and they do offer online, free updates. Plus, on their forum they have been great to ask questions and get quick, thorough answers. B+! :thumbsup:

PS it does NOT advance timing in the tune. They say that the C6 timing is very aggressive already and the car does not respond to advance. The added power comes from leaning the AFR, which makes sense, as GM is conservative on the high side for the ratio--better than replacing burned pistons.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I was just reading your avatar. You must be old if you flew an F-4. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well thanks for the input, you have made my mind up on purchasing the programmer. The lowest price I can find the Pared for is 399.00 from Houston Corvettes. I went bolt on when I owned my 98 and should have went programmer. Why doesn't "Hypertech" have a programmer for the C"s? I use one in my "05" 2500 hd 6.0 and am real happy with the results. I just last month bought the C6 and was wondering about the Predator. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks for the input, you have made my mind up on purchasing the programmer. The lowest price I can find the Pared for is 399.00 from Houston Corvettes. I went bolt on when I owned my 98 and should have went programmer. Why doesn't "Hypertech" have a programmer for the C"s? I use one in my "05" 2500 hd 6.0 and am real happy with the results. I just last month bought the C6 and was wondering about the Predator. Thanks, Mike
I got mine from Concourse Direct. It was $320 plus another 20 for the cables. That included shipping. Good service from them. concoursdirect.com/index.html :huh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts