Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok dumb guestion guys but honesty i dont know. So maybe somone can help me out.

I have a 99 vette, and my friend has a 2000 both are 6 speeds. Can we save money buy buying a Predator , or do we need one for both years of the cars :(

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
You can save money by not buying the Predator unless you are changing wheel sizes ir want your fans to come on at a lower temperature. I have one and could not feel or determine a difference in the simple "tuning" I did.

If you insist on buying you will EACH need one because they become specific to your vin and when you "custom tune" your vehicle the predator stores your old program in it's chip to "de tune or return to stock" your own vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok good deal, thats kinda what i thought, only real preformace your going to get is with a ls1 edit, or such. I was thinking diablo for pulling codes to. But the money could be used in other mods, such as headers :)

·
Web Head
15,763 Posts
I too have a predator, not worth it imo. I also have EFIlive, now that is worth every penney and you and your friend can split the cost on this if you know how to tune or you're just learning. It also comes with a scan tool. very sweet piece of programming

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
One unit-one car...you can pull your codes from the dash board,don't need anything but your finger and a pen and paper..:cool: ..

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Diablo Predator for my car that I'm probably going to sell soon once I can get my car to a professional tuner. The Predator is locked to my VIN, but it can be unlocked then re-used for another vehicle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Predator

I just installed the Predator in my moderately bolt on modded C5 coupe and have to disagree with some others. I can definitely feel an improvement in performance. I, was and still am, searching for a good dyno tune which should be the ultimate performance tune, and if I decide to sell the Predator at a later date I can recoup a little of that investment.

You can buy the Predator new in the box for less than $300 on Ebay, which I did. The Predator allows you to manually change fuel mixture and timing adjustments if you feel competent to know how much is too much or too little. The built in "Predator tune" simply maximizes fuel to air mixtures and timing (be sure to use 93 octane gas or you will definitely ping, from what I hear). I definitely felt a crisper throttle response and much more eager thrust with the Predator. I am unsure what effect it would have on a 100% stock Vette, but it's worth the try IMO. The Predator also allows you to run a code check and reset if necessary, but as already mentioned, code review and reset is already available on every C5.

A suggestion would be to find someone who's using a Predator who would be willing to return their tune to stock and allow you to test it on your car as a loaner. There would be no investment and you'd know if it improves performance.

To run a codes check on the DIC, simply press and hold the "Options" button while you press the "Fuel" button 4 times. The DIC will display every code group on the car and list any active or history fault codes automatically. When it's done with the automatic mode it allows you to page through the DIC code display manually. You can reset a code by displaying the code in the DIC and holding the reset button. If the code reoccurs, you need to find out what the fault is and fix it. The code display on the DIC will return to the default display automatically after a time or you can mannually return by pressing one of the other buttons (can't remember which). There's an excellent discussion and explanation of the process at http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm if you want to go there. It lists the codes and what they pertain to.

The C6 guys are disappointed that Chevrolet didn't include a method to check for codes via self help. :laughing: They have to buy a code reader or take the expensive route and return the car to the Chevy guys for repair! :crazy:

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too have a predator, not worth it imo. I also have EFIlive, now that is worth every penney and you and your friend can split the cost on this if you know how to tune or you're just learning. It also comes with a scan tool. very sweet piece of programming
I am with spiderpat, I have a Predator and went as far as getting a custom tune from RWTD for the predator.

Yes I got 8 HP more, yes the automatic squawked the tires for the first time shifting to first to second (A-4), but for the money you get so much more for EFI Live or HPT.

Here is my Diablo predator tune vs stock tune
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

About an 8 HP gain, you can see he leaned it out a bit, the AFR Stock was 11's, and he bumped it up to 13, as well as some torque management changes.

End of March we will see what a few bolt ons and Self taught EFI Live tuning brings.

If your both going to dabble with tuning, go in on EFI Live or HPT, you will love it.

:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts