Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paint

I don't mean to sound like a cheap a** but has anyone tried doing prep work first, then get their Vette painted? It seems that is where all of the labor is, and with a good Corvette paint guide, my gargage, tools, and a lot of time I think I could do a good job at this. I am looking at my vette and the mismatching paint is killing me but I don't have $4000 sitting around. I guess if this starts to look like a bad idea I will bite the bullet. I have heard the prep work is really what makes the best paint job (especially on fiber glass). I have been warned against this by a lot (especially since I have never painted a car and start with a Vette), but I seem to have good success on my own on a lot of things because I am a perfectionist. I can't imagine without the right tools and a lot of labor intensive sanding, etc. I could get it ready for finishing/painting. I still remain unconvinced I couldn't do a lot of it myself. By the way I have been tossing this idea around for about 3 years, and I am thinking about it more since I bought a house with a garage to do work in. I leave myself open to criticism.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
There are some great threads in our Corvette body/paint section. I am going to move this post there, there are 2 or 3 threads on various ways to strip the car.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I'm in the process myself of re-painting my C3. My paint comes off pretty easy with a razor blade, but it looks like newer cars (mine is a 73) might not be so easy with a razor & a stripper might be better for you, or a D/A or whatever ...
I do know.... I Love my corvette, I excape to the garage and spend Quality time with her.... going over every line, Sliding my hand over a freshly sanded panel making sure it's almost soft to the touch, knowing when I'm done she'll look like a piece of wet red candy.... And If I'm wrong & I totally mess-up ... I'm only out about $250.00 in paint & supplies (so far).
I can get my car done, show quality for about $3,500.. he doesn't care if it's old paint or new... but my way i can say "I Did it myself" and i KNOW those old Bo-bo's are FIXED not just covered-up

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
razor blades

For some reason, a razor blade sounds like a very tough way to strip paint, but whatever works best. There has got to be an more efficient method. Is there a paint guide that goes through the process and steps of painting a Vette? I am ignorant of where to start and stop, etc. and when I can say "ok it is ready to paint."

·
Registered
0 Posts
I prepped my car myself.....I had it media blasted, then sanded it with 320(soft block....never use paper & hands!)....I then gel coated a few areas (damm it I hit bare glass in a few areas due to media blasting) . Then applied epoxy prime & guide coated it....I wated 8 weeks before I wetsanded the car with 400....Then I primed/guide coated it again & waited 8 more weeks before I wet sanded the car againg with 400.....Then I sent it to be painted(still paid $3500.00 even though I prepped the car). If you never preped a car before I wouldnt do your first prep on a vette.....I have prepped alot of cars & I still have flaws in my prep! :nuts: Good luck whatever you decide!:cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Prepping a Vette sounds like the kind of job where you could work on it forever...and still never be done or have it "perfect."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one thing I can say is I have nothing but time for prep work. The car sits in my garage and is not driven in the winter.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I paint Vettes where the ower does their own prep work. It's a great way to spend money BUT, you must have the painter look at the car several times during the prep.......he can see items you will miss...........Dr Don

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
:agree: :agree: :agree:
I work at a large Dealer.. we have a body shop with a brand new paint booth. since I've decided to re-paint my car myself I've gotten to be pretty good friends with the painter and he's Been a BIG help. I've found several step-by-step directions on the WWW, They have been alot of help but You'll still want some professional advice along the way
Good luck!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an '88 and the same idea. Prep it myself and find someone competent to spray base/clear. I'm not looking for a show car, but a nice daily driver. It is still the factory finish, Anniversary White except one door which was repaired or replaced at one time. I plan to remove the mirrors and rubber molding on the top edge of the doors. Then sand the entire car. I have some ( a lot really) of questions before starting. Is there someone out there I could talk to by phone? Here are some:

1.) Should I remove the belt line molding or just prep it and paint over it? It is white too.

2.) Is it a bad idea to use a Porter Cable orbital sander for this? Is hand sanding the only way to go?

3.) Do I need to remove all the paint, just the clear, just rough it up good?

4.) I plan to have it epoxy primered. Does it need sanded again after that / before the base coat?

5.) Just so I have a real good idea of the amount of prep...what would you estimate ...in man hours...for the sanding mission?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts