Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use vaseline in the oil pump to prime it? I removed it to change the rear main seal. Can I fill it with oil before re-installing it or will this be usless? I don't really want to remove the distributor. I'm afraid I will be one tooth off.

·
Registered
332 Posts
:thumbsup:surething, I just did my rear main a month ago and i forgot to fill it with vas . I did a dry start thinking it will pickup because pump is immersed in oil,wrong! 10 seconds no oil pressure, last resort as i was not concerned about bearings as they are stuffed anyway was to give it a big rev to 2,500 rpm then she picked up WHEE.:D Vas in pumps will always pick up:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Just remove the oil pump gear cover and pack her full of vasoline then put it back together and you'll be fine:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Don't sweat the small stuff. Pull the distributor and prime the system with a drill. Remember the rear maim you pulled has no oil in it, retiming is well worth the hassle than taking a chance of burning a bearing...

I would never put Vaseline in side my engine.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I gotta' go with Ivan. Pulling the distributor is nothing compared to the chance of plugging something up with vaseline or starting with a dry bearing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I gotta' go with Ivan. Pulling the distributor is nothing compared to the chance of plugging something up with vaseline or starting with a dry bearing.
vaseline is a petroleum product. it will dissolve in oil. I would run in the engine and then change the oil. The last time i put in a new oil pump the instructions that came with the pump said to fill it with vaseline for what its worth.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
vaseline is a petroleum product. it will dissolve in oil. I would run in the engine and then change the oil. The last time i put in a new oil pump the instructions that came with the pump said to fill it with vaseline for what its worth.
Just a little different.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you put some assembly lube or motor oil back on the RM bearing befor re-installing it?

Vaseline in an oil pump is common. No problems there.
HOWEVER, for the little trouble that its worth, I would still yank the distributor to "prime" the system. Vaseline only lubricates the oil pump...you will still starve your bottom end for a few seconds, and to me, that's not worth the gamble.
You CAN just turn the motor over with the starter to prime the system, but again, I would just yank the distributor real quick and use a drill to prime the system. Remember, you have NO oil in the pump/pickup, unlike when you change your oil. Also, did you remove the oil filter? That is another part that could be a potential problem! I always fill the oil filter FULL of oil before install....especially a new filter! Its a verticle oil filter and easy to do.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
:thumbsup:

I primed my l98 with motor primer

And that motor Ran like a champ

Why spend all that time and money only to clog the system with vasoline

Do it once

Do it right:nuts:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Is a new oil pump's warranty voided if it's opened and packed with Vas?

I'm with Ivan and Tim. When it's so easy to pull the distributor and prime the engine properly...you get so much more benefit from this anyway...why mess with the pump? With tight tolerances I wouldn't want anything as thick as Vas being pushed through the engine.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Believe it or not kiddies you can ruin an engine by using too much Assembly lube...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would pull the coil wire spin the motor over for a short while , watch the oil pressure guage and when i seen pressure on the guage , i would consider the pump primed, ,,don ethis a lot in the past, never had any problems

1 - 12 of 12 Posts