Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got another issue which is the brakes on my 91 Vette. They feel like super spongy and when I apply pressure on the brake I can hear like a little noise that sounds like air or something. Has anyone had this problem or any suggestions on what it could be. Oh and by the way "SYS" keeps flashing on my guages if anyone know what that means. Thanks

Frank

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
SYS light could be due to a bad or going bad battery..

spongy brakes and a hissing? sounds like the brake power booster is leaking.. do they get better if you pump them? it could be a bad master cylinder too

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok when I have the car off and I apply the brakes they feel solid.... and when I pump the brakes they remain the same... The hissing sound just gets a bit louder.

·
DC Crew
4,825 Posts
That's definitely your power brake booster. I just changed mine last year. You can pick up a replacement at Autozone for about $90.00 Not too bad of a job to replace it...it's just two bolts unfortunately they're under the dash around the steering column.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To replace the booster how hard is it.... and would I need to adjust something or just remove and replace? Thanks

Frank

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
To replace the booster how hard is it.... and would I need to adjust something or just remove and replace? Thanks

Frank
just remove and replace as far as I know.. you may have to adjust the actuator rod to the Master cylinder, but it should be preset when you get it

·
DC Crew
4,825 Posts
It's a pretty straightforward remove and replace. It's right behind the master brake cylinder in the engine compartment. You don't have to remove any brake lines or anything else, just move the ECM and support bracket out of the way, get under the dash and unbolt the two nuts holding the power brake booster on.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds easy, I give it a whack when I get the cash and some spare time. What other problems could it be just incase of anything??? Thanks for you alls help.

Frank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts