Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I have been trying to buy a 2008 Coupe for several months now. After multiple mistakes and insulting exchanges with Hendrick Auto Group employees, I finally took delivery of it today through a different dealership in Greenville, SC (5 hours away).

I will give the basics and if you want details, PM me.

1. They initially messed up the order I placed 3 months ago on a '08- wrong transmission and wheels (no apology- no attempt to correct)
2. They then insulted me by offering me "pay-off" for my '07, which they called "fair market value" and was really 20% LESS than market value and ONLY if I bought a '08 from them (and I know market value b/c I took it to Carmax to have it appraised and they gave me a written offer which was 20% higher with no obligation to buy a car from them, a different dealership offered me $1k MORE than Carmax if I bought a 3LT '08 from them, and a third dealership offered me 3K less than carmax if I bought a '08 1LT)
3. The manager had the balls to call me yesterday to find out if I had sold the '07 and if I wanted to order an '08 with them!! The manager stood by the amount that they offered me even when I told him what I sold it for.
4. I bought a trailblazer 4 yrs ago from them (I was young & foolish then- now I'm old and wise!:lookinup: ) and they ripped me off and insulted me then too...I should have learned my lesson!:smack
5. they quoted me $1400 to do the parking brake pads, the rotors, and replace the pads on my Trailblazer- I did it for less than 1/2 that...

Anyway, because of this last go around, I absolutely will not do business with anyone that I know is affiliated with Hendrick Auto Group. I would advise everyone else to steer clear as well.

A

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you knew you got ripped off, why did you go back?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts

·
Banned
118 Posts
Damn that place pisses me off to no end. I didn't but there, I just beat on their stuff and embarrass them with my knowledge. They are extremely insulting and arrogant. My first run in with them was when they had one of the first 05's on the lot. The was after the unveiling at the auto show when I called them to see if they had one in stock yet. They did so I drove an hour to check it out. They had it roped off and under a cover!!! With no one else in the show room they refused to pull that cover off so I could see it. They said no, that they were having an unveiling in a couple days. A what? How GHEY!! I told them to pound sand and drove an hour back home. Then I called them up the next day and ripped the GM.

A couple weeks ago I stopped back by to look at an 08. Some young lady was shopping while I was looking. A few minutes later she headed back out to her car to get some papers and I stopped her for a sec to discuss how nice the vette is. She was going to pay $5000 over for an 07! I quickly spread some of that knowledge and saved her probably $12,000 by letting her know where she really needs to make her purchase. She was not really my type but I could have gotten me a little something for that savings idea I bet. :D

+1

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Damn that place pisses me off to no end. I didn't buy there, I just beat on their stuff and embarrass them with my knowledge.
I think I have a tad better understanding, now, of how they viewed (and treated) you.

...She was not really my type but I could have gotten me a little something for that savings idea I bet. :D
Methinks you over rate yourself. Sorry. I found that comment a little discomforting.

Maybe I'm just getting old...:huh:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you knew you got ripped off, why did you go back?
Mostly due to proximity and I didn't think, at the time, that ordering a car could be screwed up so badly.

I bought my trailblazer at a different dealerhisp in a different town in the triangle of NC over 4 years ago...I guess I was hoping that my first experience was a one time occurrance and not a pervasive business philosophy...obviously I was wrong and will not make that mistake again...however it is difficult to know which dealerships are owned by which company...found out that a dealership in C.H. is owned by Hendrick as well, but only when the manager gave me his email address...

A

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would never buy from a Hendricks again thanks to the crappy service received at the one in Cary. I had promises made when purchasing the car in Feb, STILL not taken care of, and at this point I am betting never will be.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Hendrick

Thanks FOR THE HEADS UP. I GO TO CHAPEL HILL ABOUT EVERY2-3 months and have spoken to Performance.I knew more about the '08 than that guy did. Then the sales manager called and heard my story and offered 6000 off of an '08 right then.(I would be ordering mine). I dropped that hold back info on him and he calmed down.When to buy (if you want a good deal wait til the last allocation maybe MAY or something then they'll deal). If you buy early you pay more. Most of those dealers still have 30-40 on the lot. Hendrick now is discounting what's left of the '07s about $7000. That seems to be the prices so far. I still have not seen an'08 on the ground in North Carolina east of RDU. I contacted Jeff Gordon's dealership in Wilmington,N.C. None yet. The guy said Gordon had not been to the dealership in at least 2 years! Must be nice to put that place on overdrive.
wwr:crazy:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stay away from Performance if you can...

There's an '08 just like mine in Fuquay Verina except it has the base split spoke wheels.

If you go onto Cars.com you can actually setup the search criteria to locate cars that have been delivered in the last couple weeks and then sort by price and you can locate '08s that way with the options you want 9by knowing what the sticker price should be). The other thing I did was call Chevrolet and told them what I wanted and they found a bunch of cars for me.

I would seriously consider going down to Greenville, SC to Kevin Whitaker Chevrolet...they were the best dealership i have ever been to...didn't mess around at all.

A

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
I don't have anything bad to say about Hendrick, I've never bought from them, but at least their techs are certified in servicing the 'vettes they sell(talking about the one in Durham). It's not difficult knowing more about the car you want than the salespeople in 99% of the dealerships. Most never take the time to really know the specifics of the cars they sell as commission is their only driving factor.Getting rude treatment from people who's pay you contribute to is unusual, but it does happen, mostly at higher end dealerships. My local would not let me even test drive a C6 a couple of years ago and recieved their first C6 Z06 just weeks ago, so they are not overly educated on salesmanship or the corvette. The aformentioned Z has been beat on by employees not long after arrival, racking up a little over 100 hard miles, but still $8K over sticker and no test drives availible. The car is covered in fingerprints,grease,and dust, sitting in the front lot, getting road debris and rain and hail for the last few days. They take it inside for the weekends......No way I'd buy from them.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Having lived in South Boston, VA for 5 years--although I was mostly at Hanscom AFB in Taxachusetts--wife and kids in SB, I have very little good to say about anything in the Chapel Hill area. Arrogant a-holes and the businesses think somehow they're above the simple "rural" folk. Worked for a guy with an MBA from CH--for a very short time before I went into government service. He got it on the minority program--waive minor things like having a degree from a decent undergrad school, sub-average grad boards are winked at, etc. Really impressed me with the quality of their alumni. To me, and I know I'm generalizing, that area of NC sucks--and I'm including Raleigh-Durham and especially Carey. Sorry for the good folks who live there, but just call me a Yankee bigot if you like. Not surprised their car dealers are dicks, as well. :down:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I try to avoid going to CH if I can help it...except to get my hair cut at the Hair Cutery...I like it when the chicks shampoo my hair :lookinup:

I actually drive from Durham to help out at a nursing home in South Boston because, in terms of healthcare, it is an extremely underserved area. I also go out to Burlington, NC for the same reason...

I'm a yankee at heart as well (Berkshires of MA is home) but I feel like I have made the transition to damn yankee pretty well...

FYI- yankee is someone from the north who comes down and leaves, damn yankee is someone from the north who comes down and stays...pretty much everyone at Duke is a damn yankee...

A

·
Banned
334 Posts
Chapel Hill

I've been a Carolina fan nce I was 14. The football team has a long way to go. Theyare my team though. Really B-BALL IS MY THING. So no discussion there. I live east of ECU(the little engine that could).There just any doctuors that will treat my condition. They just don't have the docs that practice this stuff. Naturally I have always stop at Perf. Just to 'look around'. Service has always treated my WRX,'04 Vette,and my,05 perfectlly and on time even the sales people leave me alone. I have never bought a car from them though. Rick personally in 1971 found me 1971 convertible with the pipes
on the side this was before he was somebody. Now I don't know he has 40 or 50 dealerships, I don't his rules he gives those Managers or their screw you policy.They are on list buy aN '08 along with Gordon's, and the local guy here.He may need a lettr to let him know how these people operateI'm just saying I gonNa give them a chance anyway.

I'm up this late to see if I won any State lottery money 3:12 am.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Yeah, I try to avoid going to CH if I can help it...except to get my hair cut at the Hair Cutery...I like it when the chicks shampoo my hair :lookinup:

I actually drive from Durham to help out at a nursing home in South Boston because, in terms of healthcare, it is an extremely underserved area. I also go out to Burlington, NC for the same reason...

A
It is. Southside VA is ignored by the a-holes in Richmond. Good, decent and hardworking people with sky high unemployment--while the morons in Richmond screw the citizens with Nazi speeding fines. The Beltway runs the state and that's too bad. Otherwise, VA is a fine state--away from DC, as is NC--away from CH. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
118 Posts
I think I have a tad better understanding, now, of how they viewed (and treated) you.

Methinks you over rate yourself. Sorry. I found that comment a little discomforting.

Maybe I'm just getting old...:huh:

Man shut the hell up. I'm trying to point out how poorly they deal with customers and you turn it back on me. Suck it idiot.

It was the second trip to that dealership that I took a used Z06 and coupe for a hard spin. That's what they are for me now, a place with a ton of inventory that they can barely move, but is great to see the color combinations and use them for my own needs.

I don't care what you find discomforting. Go to the CorvetteForum if you want to whine like that. I was protecting prospective buyers from being ripped off. Go buy at Hendrick Jackass.

Methinks you are not in charge of any rating scale and can't even change your own oil.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Thanks FOR THE HEADS UP. I GO TO CHAPEL HILL ABOUT EVERY2-3 months and have spoken to Performance.I knew more about the '08 than that guy did. Then the sales manager called and heard my story and offered 6000 off of an '08 right then.(I would be ordering mine). I dropped that hold back info on him and he calmed down.When to buy (if you want a good deal wait til the last allocation maybe MAY or something then they'll deal). If you buy early you pay more. Most of those dealers still have 30-40 on the lot. Hendrick now is discounting what's left of the '07s about $7000. That seems to be the prices so far. I still have not seen an'08 on the ground in North Carolina east of RDU. I contacted Jeff Gordon's dealership in Wilmington,N.C. None yet. The guy said Gordon had not been to the dealership in at least 2 years! Must be nice to put that place on overdrive.

I have heard, but not confirmed, that Performance is also owned by Hendrick.

·
Banned
118 Posts
I don't have anything bad to say about Hendrick, I've never bought from them, but at least their techs are certified in servicing the 'vettes they sell(talking about the one in Durham). It's not difficult knowing more about the car you want than the salespeople in 99% of the dealerships. Most never take the time to really know the specifics of the cars they sell as commission is their only driving factor.Getting rude treatment from people who's pay you contribute to is unusual, but it does happen, mostly at higher end dealerships. My local would not let me even test drive a C6 a couple of years ago and recieved their first C6 Z06 just weeks ago, so they are not overly educated on salesmanship or the corvette. The aformentioned Z has been beat on by employees not long after arrival, racking up a little over 100 hard miles, but still $8K over sticker and no test drives availible. The car is covered in fingerprints,grease,and dust, sitting in the front lot, getting road debris and rain and hail for the last few days. They take it inside for the weekends......No way I'd buy from them.

They have a some guy they tout as their "Corvette Sales Expert." Les or something is his name. Better info than most salesman, fewer tall tales but when he did come up with one or two, they were big ones.
That is who I'm talking about in my original post. Expert eh? Nice pickup you drive there.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Performance in CH is owned by Hendrick. I was given a manager's email from that dealership and it was "[email protected]" or something like that...definely had Hendrick in the address...I stopped paying attention as soon as he told me that, got off the phone and called the saleslady I had contacted and told her to stop looking for my car b/c I wouldn't buy it from them even if they found it.

list of Hendrick dealerships to avoid:

http://www.hendrickauto.com/dealer/dealer_results.asp?select_all=yes

A

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Man shut the hell up. I'm trying to point out how poorly they deal with customers and you turn it back on me. Suck it idiot.

It was the second trip to that dealership that I took a used Z06 and coupe for a hard spin. That's what they are for me now, a place with a ton of inventory that they can barely move, but is great to see the color combinations and use them for my own needs.

I don't care what you find discomforting. Go to the CorvetteForum if you want to whine like that. I was protecting prospective buyers from being ripped off. Go buy at Hendrick Jackass.

Methinks you are not in charge of any rating scale and can't even change your own oil.
That was a bit uncalled for. I think his response was based on you "gettin some" from the young lady. I didn't see anything turned back on you.

Speaking of CF......your post is something I'd expect to see there not here on DC. Personal attacks are not welcome or tolerated here. Not cool :down:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts