Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I started working on my newly acquired ZR-1. Code Name PIGPEN..

Why Pigpen? because everything I touch has a cloud of dust just like Pigpen from Peanuts. I have most of the interior out and found out a few interesting things.. The Carpet on the passenger side of the dash has been dyed from red, So has the plastic piece near the Accelerator pedal. I have a feeling this car was a Black/Red car.

I knew this car had some body damage, but I noticed tonight that the rear window is off center by about 1/2" at the latch. Now I started to remove the halo trim (which needs to be replaced) to adjust the rear window and it looks like the glass was replaced and the piece that is bonded to the glass has been re attached on the current glass. Along with this the Defroster wires are not there. the input wire is but the other 3 (2 from the struts to the glass, and one from GROUND to the strut are not there) I have soldered on GM glass before so it should not be an issue. Although I am going to try to align what I have. Worst case it will need to be replaced.

I have a Heat and Sound insulation kit from exoticvette this will get laid out again the fiberglass first, then I need to find replacement jute (carpet insulation) as this stuff is dust soaked. I have already order a bunch of parts for the interior as it is my first goal, to make the inside livable. I have found a good deal on an almost complete interior in red, so I will have a red interior int his car, but I will be retaining the balck hush panels, door sills and door panels, since the door panels are the 1994-96 style.

Yesterday I aligned the Drivers door and the from fender, I also washed the car. it will need some body work and paint but will be nice once complete.

This is going to be fun...

http://vettextc.jiminees.com/ZR-1/7-30-2007/

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm actually excited about this project and its not even my car...I think I have a sickness! Keep the updates and pictures coming.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Was this car wrecked before?

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Looks like a good start Jeff. Red guts are the only way to go with a jet black King 'o the Hill. Love them '90s... such a sleeper look and has my favorite front end.

Wish I lived a bit closer, I'd love to work my detail magic on your engine bay. I tend to go a bit crazy when it comes to that.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
CArfax says NO, but am thinking it had some minor damage..

I am thining the 1/4 damage also broke the Glass. my best guess is the glass was not installed properly
Cool.

I was just wondering because - why would someone let something like this go?

The only thing I could think of is they didn't value the car enough.

Did the seller give you any history?

COOL Project - BTW!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
great start bro keep us posted <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< what did ya pay for it is the drive train all straight?
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
9,475 Posts
I look forward to seeing the progress of your project Jeff. Thanks for saving a ZR-1!

·
Registered
771 Posts
She is absolutely georgeous!! :surprised :surprised Even in her present condition! How do you keep from drooling all over yourself when you stand there looking at that LT5 and realize YOU OWN IT???? :thud: :thud: Not to be nosey (OK, yes, I'm being nosey), but how much did you pay for her? If you don't want to say, that's perfectly cool with me. :thumbsup:

Keep us updated!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Which version red interior are you using? The later brighter red or the earlier and correct darker red. The reason I ask is because I have a brand new unused interior touch up kit for the darker red from my 91' L98 vert.

If it works you can have that too. I'll stop by Thursday evening with the stuff we talked about.

Keep at it, this is the fun part....:thumbsup:

Hans
:cheers:

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Which version red interior are you using? The later brighter red or the earlier and correct darker red. The reason I ask is because I have a brand new new used interior touch up kit for the darker red from my 91' L98 vert.

If it works you can have that too. I'll stop by Thursday evening with the stuff we talked about.

Keep at it, this is the fun part....:thumbsup:

Hans
:cheers:
Call first, I am going out of town today on business and will be back Thursday, unsure of the time though.

it is the 1900-1991 red, :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
That sucks about the rear glass, but as stated before, glad you rescued a "King".:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
These pics are giving me flashbacks of my interior restoration 4 years ago. Good luck, it's not a bad project and very rewarding (as you already know from the 89). I like the Black with a red gut thing though, nice combo.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Hmmm..."Pigpen"

I like it and I know where you are going with it...but I think the LT5 deserves a little more thought for the name.

After all...we're talking about the King of the Hill.

How about

Project - 1 NaZty Z

Get it? Nasty - + Z +1

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cool.

I was just wondering because - why would someone let something like this go?

The only thing I could think of is they didn't value the car enough.

Did the seller give you any history?

COOL Project - BTW!!
Very cool project.....Just can't understand why anyone would trash a vette like that..they should be :whip: & :spanked: & a little :crazy: in the head....keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well having seen the car in person pre, during, and after its first bath, I can say it has already come a long way since Jeff has had it!

I think PIGPEN would be great temporary license plate!! haha

·
Registered
914 Posts
After I first bought my car I wanted to give it a code name also. But instead I told people that my car wasn't a ZO6 or a ZR1 I told them it's a "POS" a model that can be found after many a numnut have owned your car before you and treated it like an old shoe!:nuts:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts