Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving beaters with manuals for years, I have developed a habit of not always depressing the clutch all the way when shifting. I'm I putting any extra strain or wear on anything?

Thank you......Stan

·
Registered
662 Posts
Stan said:
After driving beaters with manuals for years, I have developed a habit of not always depressing the clutch all the way when shifting. I'm I putting any extra strain or wear on anything?

Thank you......Stan
As BLM indicated, if you're not completely disengaging the driven plate from the flywheel, you are essentially slipping the clutch, which will cause premature wear of the driven disk (you could make a case that the pressure plate isn't too happy about this either).

You are also not completely removing the load on the input shaft of the transmission, meaning that the gears are not meshing in the preferred no-load state. This is being masked by the synchros but over the long haul this spells trouble. And trouble with a Corvette is spelled S-E-R-I-O-U-S M-O-N-E-Y.

Did you know you can shift without even using the clutch? It's much easier to upshift without using the clutch than it is to downshift, but with judicious throttle application and a brave heart it can be done. Some race car drivers never use the clutch on an upshift (a tiny minority don't use it to downshift either, but these are extraordinarily gifted people). You'd be amazed at the cool stuff they teach you in a driving school. Of course, it's better to try this on their car. But believe it or not, it's actually easier on the driveline than slipping the clutch while shifting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts