Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just a short block sitting in the vette now and DAMN! The cam was sitting forward about an inch and the lifters were all worn down as well as the cam, no thrust bearing anywhere in sight! The timing chain was stretched to hell and the cam was barely held in place, with all three cam bolts half out!!!!!!!!! Who in the hell put this thing together, a monkey? Serious the cam bearings are worn to all hell and one of the heads is obviously cracked and I'm seriously looking at a new engine alltogether! The pistons have carbon all over them as well as rust and who knows what the lower portion of the engine looks like?!! How much for testing the engine for wear on the crank, main bearings, and inspection of the existing block? Would I be better just getting a new engine or testing to see the current block and then machining it and all? Do I get a new long block or do I machine the old one and freshen it up? What's the price difference between the two?

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
The guy I got my engine from did a junkyard '89 truck 4 bolt 350 block, and I have #113 aluminnum heads on it now....the heads are cheeep, the blocks/internals are plentyful....take it to a local machine shop, have the block cleaned, machined, assembled....you slip the cam in and do the chain/pan, etc....put on the freshed up heads, and call it a day....cheeepest most reliable way you can get what you want....I figger 2 grand should cover it easy....

it's not going to be a stroker, or super really high hp, dependig on your cam choice, it will run around 10.5 compression,

it's been fine, in the car now for ten years....runs fine...

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
So, just a short block sitting in the vette now and DAMN! The cam was sitting forward about an inch and the lifters were all worn down as well as the cam, no thrust bearing anywhere in sight! The timing chain was stretched to hell and the cam was barely held in place, with all three cam bolts half out!!!!!!!!! Who in the hell put this thing together, a monkey? Serious the cam bearings are worn to all hell and one of the heads is obviously cracked and I'm seriously looking at a new engine alltogether! The pistons have carbon all over them as well as rust and who knows what the lower portion of the engine looks like?!! How much for testing the engine for wear on the crank, main bearings, and inspection of the existing block? Would I be better just getting a new engine or testing to see the current block and then machining it and all? Do I get a new long block or do I machine the old one and freshen it up? What's the price difference between the two?

Well, that depends on what you have, and what you want. All you have stated is your engine is crap. What is it? A 327? A 502? Details my man.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Is this the original big block? Hard to tell from the way you are describing things.

If it were me, and it is a BB, I would want that bad boy back in there...and you can do a few things to get it up beyond the 365 factory HP.

·
Certified Stalker
4,077 Posts
Is this the original big block? Hard to tell from the way you are describing things.

If it were me, and it is a BB, I would want that bad boy back in there...and you can do a few things to get it up beyond the 365 factory HP.
It might take quite a bit of work to get it back to good working condition though.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not factory, but a 468 big block. I'm thinking of just pulling the block and having it machined to keep cost down. I was pricing long blocks last night and DAMN! No money for that kind of thing, but I wish. I'm sure it's fine I just have to find a good/cheap machine shop to do the work.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Not factory, but a 468 big block. I'm thinking of just pulling the block and having it machined to keep cost down. I was pricing long blocks last night and DAMN! No money for that kind of thing, but I wish. I'm sure it's fine I just have to find a good/cheap machine shop to do the work.
Good/cheap are mutually incompatable. Good OR cheap is correct.
GMP has 454 long blocks for $1,299. What is cheap?

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Sorry bro, messed up, that's bare block. It was in the new cat right beneath short blocks.:huh:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=nal-12561353&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+4294925232+400129+1009+4294908216+4294839078+115&x=35&y=13

Complete engine is $5,319.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=nal-12568774&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+0&x=32&y=15

Looks like rebuild is the way to go.

Call Jim Burkey at 714-299-9022, Burkey Machine for a price on Monday.:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts