Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!

I can't get my pulley off. I'm using the 3 arm pulley puller and it sucks. Is there any trick to using this thing?

Can I cut the outside of the pulley off and then use the puller on just the inner part? I was thinking this b/c I need to pull on the middle part but cant get a lock on it b/c the arms keep hitting the outside. Also I have a new UD Pulley, so I don't need the stocker.

HELP!!

Josh

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Are you sure that the puller is engaging the end of the crank and not just the face of the pulley? Try putting a steel dowel in the bolt hole (smaller than the bolt that came out) so you can be sure that you are not pushing and pulling on the pulley at the same time. Other than that, make sure that the puller hasn't begun to strip its own threads. Cheaper ones tend to do that after a couple uses.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm just curious as to how you got the crankshaft bolt out. Did you have to remove the starter or is there an easier way? I am reluctant to buy an underdrive pulley until I can figure an easy way to get that bolt out.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using the crank bolt as the pushing point per advise on ls1howto.com. I think i may know what's going on, but wont find out til I get the valvesprings switched out. I need to do something else, b/c I was getting pissed off. Now I'm feeling better and more optomistic.

As far as the crank bolt goes, it's pretty easy. if you have a manual tranny put it into 4th and apply parking brake tight. Remove the plugs. I left plugs in and the crank pulley kept spinning. I then removed the plugs and bam off it came. You have to use a 24mm socket with a 2'-3' breaker bar. Just crank it until the pulley stops spinning (<20*) and then it will start to spin.

Josh

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info. I suppose the crank bolt removal technique will for for my auto trans also. Keep us informed on your progress.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I suppose the crank bolt removal technique will for for my auto trans also. Keep us informed on your progress.
I think you may need a tool to stop the engine from spinning. Or a screwdriver would work. I'm pretty sure you can't do it like the manual tranny, though.

josh

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got it guys. It was a pain in the ass, but the pulley is out. I'll update my "Teardown" thread later tonight. Going out to get the camshaft swapped.

Josh

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
i got it guys. It was a pain in the ass, but the pulley is out. I'll update my "Teardown" thread later tonight. Going out to get the camshaft swapped.

Josh
:partyon:

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I think you may need a tool to stop the engine from spinning. Or a screwdriver would work. I'm pretty sure you can't do it like the manual tranny, though.

josh
I always prefer an impact wrench. No garage should be without one...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I always prefer an impact wrench. No garage should be without one...
I agree. I have my pneumatic one and it is great. I'm still getting use to having one, though. I still catch myself wrenching on things and then I'm like " Oh crap, I have air tools."

Josh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts