Discussion Starter #1
hi I'm new to this site
I'm hoping someone out there can help with my decision
has anyone ever seen a stinger hood scoop mounted on top of a 73 hood
I'm thinking of buying a stinger hood scoop off ebay
sc 27 is the part number
you can bond or rivet the scoop on.
The scoop measures 61" Long x 22" Wide x 3" Tall & comes in two pieces,
so you can adjust the scoop & the "stinger" part (by sliding the "stinger" part up into the scoop) to fit your hood application.
I just wondered if anyone out there has done this with the 73 hood
being that its a cowl type of hood
verses the flat hoods on the 67 models they were made for
I just don't want the car to look hokey
but different
I could buy a regular hood but mine is painted and my car is not a show car
its a 1970 with a 68 front end and already customized so its not going to hurt the value
it has a mako shark nose
68 firebird tail lights
L-88 rear fender flares
hooker side pipes
and velour bottom tuck interior
it was built in the early 70's
I'm going for the Baldwin motion clone look
any help or advice is welcome
my email address is
[email protected]
thanks in advance guys
randy

·
DC Crew
12,250 Posts
Is this what you are thinking about? This is just about as beautiful as it gets. :thumbsup:
check this thread:

I have a "mini" L88 on my wifes coupe:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I seen that one that's one beautiful ride
and I love the hood
but your hood and scoop is one piece and flat
not a cowl type that came on 73 and 74 vetts
then there is the matter of bonding it to the hood
and were the stinger and scoop mount
my pictures have not uploaded yet
so you cant see the style of my hood
if it comes out close to your car
I would be very happy
thanks
randy

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I think you are goin got need to buy a whole new hood. To put a stinger style scoop on an existing cowl hood would require ALOT of fiberglass work. Especially because the cowl of the stinger hood is the same width as the existing cowl so you would be stacking one on top of the other. By the time you get done, you would have been better off spending a grand on a new hood and paint.

·
That creepy old guy
726 Posts
Guy’s,

Here’s what you’ll run into if you use a sting hood like mine.

Because the front of the hood comes down to a point at the spear, there is not much clearance as there would be with a stock hood. This will require for you to remove the stock fan shroud and fan set-up and go to an electric one. Additionally you’ll have to modify the radiator support by bending in down to allow clearance for the hood to close.

These hoods take a lot of time to get right before bolting them on. You’ll have to do a ton of shaping and sanding to get them correct. After you’ve spent all the time and money in doing all that they do look great.

I know see why a lot of people don’t go out and just bolt this hood on. There are a lot of modifications that have to taker place before you do that.

Thanks for the comments Rjent!

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi I'm new to this site
I'm hoping someone out there can help with my decision
has anyone ever seen a stinger hood scoop mounted on top of a 73 hood
I'm thinking of buying a stinger hood scoop off ebay

I'm going for the Baldwin motion clone look

randy
In '73, Motion used the long style L88 hood. Previous to that they used standard big block hoods with '67 style stinger scoops bonded on top, and in
'74 they went to a long style cowl induction type hood. It really depends how strictly you want it to look like a Baldwin Motion clone. It's either an authentic clone or a custom. Either will look great. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I got this hood at a Florida Corvette junk yard years ago and had it on my 68 right after I finished the paint job. It cost around $100, but took a fair amount of prep work. It was based on a 68 big block hood, and I didn't have to change anything under the hood. I sold it when I got an L-88 hood on the car.

Unless you are good with body work, you'd be better off looking for a complete hood.

Sorry, the pictures didn't scan real good.

·
Registered
893 Posts
first-measure it out and tape it down using duct tape to hold it in place
second-drill holes through the scoop and through the hood to secure it in place, especially in front where the air might try to lift it off at high speeds
third-bond it with fiberglass resin and fill in the holes and seams with fiberglass body filler and sand down (80, 120, then 500 grit)

Be sure to use a tear drop type sanding block when doing so to get and even curve on the seams between the hood and the scoop!!! You could also use PVC pipe too but wrapping the sand paper around it. Feel the curve that you make with your eyes closed to make sure that it feels uniform and that when painted it will all look even. I did the same thing with my scoop on my vette. Look at my pics! If you need any more info, feel free to ask!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got this hood at a Florida Corvette junk yard years ago and had it on my 68 right after I finished the paint job. It cost around $100, but took a fair amount of prep work. It was based on a 68 big block hood, and I didn't have to change anything under the hood. I sold it when I got an L-88 hood on the car.

Looks to me like you let a genuine Motion hood slip through your fingers. If it was me, I'd be gutted. Such is life.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Looks to me like you let a genuine Motion hood slip through your fingers. If it was me, I'd be gutted. Such is life.
I did some fiberglass work to make it look like it had an opening. When I bought it, it had a funcky flat front on the scoop so it would pull out of the mold easily. I looked over the whole thing and it was so-so quality, and no markings. The same junkyard had several of them on wrecked cars, so my guess is it was aftermarket.

Hey, in the eighties I sold a 440 Charger RT for a couple of thousand and a 383 Roadrunner three thousand.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
The hood on my car was bought in Carlysle Pa. vette show, some ten years ago....with the scoop on it, had it worked over by someone who knew pretty good glass work.....and then painted down the street by another guy...

so the paint on it, and the top deck are only ten years old, the rest of the car is about 20 years old, and the front repait gray fender tops is recent....

so glass work on a hood like that is not all that hard, it even withstood my chopping hell outta the whole original undersides of the scoop, to allow for over the top air induction....also the change to reverse hinges...so they are more stable than I gave credit for, really....

have not tried it at 150 mph though.....good to 120 that I know of....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, in the eighties I sold a 440 Charger RT for a couple of thousand and a 383 Roadrunner three thousand.
Haha...isn't it amazing how times have changed? Those would be $50-70k cars down here now. I remember selling my '55 Chev for $4,250. I guess we wont make those mistakes with the vettes!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Haha...isn't it amazing how times have changed? Those would be $50-70k cars down here now. I remember selling my '55 Chev for $4,250. I guess we wont make those mistakes with the vettes!
In 1971 I sold my 64 Malibu SS 283 4-speed for $650.00. Makes me cringe now.:nuts: Art

·
Registered
14 Posts
In 1971 I sold my 64 Malibu SS 283 4-speed for $650.00. Makes me cringe now.:nuts: Art
Now THAT makes ya want to cry! Granted that wold have been a few months wages back then, but it's probably worth a couple of years wages now... :thud:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts