Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PVC solution for Boosted Motors

This is my solution for crankcase ventilation on boosted motors (especially older/high mileage engines) So far, the new setup has presented no problems and I’m awaiting a 6-7psi pulley to take advantage of the new-found potential.

The Original setup:

The New setup

Note: Those of you with the OEM pop up headlights will need to find another location for the Catch can. There is a well vented area just in front of the driver’s side firewall that would work with about 2 additional feet of PCV tubing.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Kool deal. What did you use for a catch can? How large is it? How fast does it fill up? Be kool if you could post a few pics of your set up. I'll be installing a procharger before the year is over.
Are you using the stock intake manifold? I would like to keep mine since its an LS6 manifold.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kool deal. What did you use for a catch can? How large is it? How fast does it fill up? Be kool if you could post a few pics of your set up. I'll be installing a procharger before the year is over.
Are you using the stock intake manifold? I would like to keep mine since its an LS6 manifold.
Using an Elite Engineering catch can with stainless steel condenser style filter. Not sure how fast it fills up since i just finished it yesterday.
LS6 manifold. Pics to come.

I'm working on a check valve setup that would allow the can to get vacuum from the intake manifold then switch to upstream of the blower under boost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If I could make a suggestion here, we've run setups similar to this for a while in the boosted import world.

There is basically 2 PCV (not PVC BTW :thumbsup:) connections, one on each valve cover.

The one that connects to the intake mani is the vacuum source, with the PCV. As long as you have a good one-way PCV this should be left as is. The PCV should act as a check valve and completely close under boost.

The other goes to a catch can and pre turbo/SC just as you have illustrated.

The idea and premis behind this is that when idle/ light throttle the mani creates the vacuum, and opens the check PCV valve, creating a vacuum and evacuating the crank case of the fumes. When under boost, the check valve closes and the SC creates a vacuum behind the filter and evacuates the fumes that way.

There's really two things you're trying to accomplish here, get rid of the pressure AND the combustion fumes, as the left over exhaust fumes still contain raw amounts of fuel that destroy and break down the oil.

For the non turbo guys with free flowing exhaust vacu-pan systems work rather well too, creating a true vacuum in the crank case and actually adding up to 30hp.

-CK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts