Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help..

My quadrajet as of late keeps flooding when I turn the car off.

It doesn't have that issue when the engine is cold but when the engine is at warm temp and I shut the car off for a couple of minutes and try to turn it back on its flooded. The inside of the intake is full of fuel and I get smoke come out from the side pipes when trying to start it up and it smells of fuel. What is causing the carburetor to flood after I shut it off when the engine is warm? Does the carb need to be rebuilt? Not sure where to look for the problem in the carb?

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
First thing, did you do anything to the carb prior experiecing this problem? adjust anything?, diassemble anything?

Second how does the car run while driving? slugges?, trying to stall at the stop light?, backfiring?

My first conclusion is your Carb has plastic floats and they have gone bad or are adjusted wrong, or the needle and set is plugged.

To test if they are bad, you have to disassemble the carb and remove the floats and set them in a small tray of gas and see if they float. Even bad floats will float in water.

To check adjustment remove top of carb and the float should not go past level in the up position. should be a little down from level. I do not remember the exact mesurment from the bottom it should be but if you have a manual or buy a rebuild kit it will tell you. The float must also be able to move up and down very easly.

The float needle and seat can only be inspected when taken out. look for "varnishing" on the needle or in the seat. Inspect the needle "point" for wear or contaminants

Sorry to say, no matter what, you WILL have to disassemble the Carb to fix your problem Hope this helps

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't messed with carb in at least three years or more ago. Just started doing this. Its been sitting for 6 months. It does rev high an lights. No backfire or cutting out. Runs great when crusin. Maybe the float is sticking or not working correctly. Thanks for the advise I will check those things out.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Regardless of anything else that may be going on in the carb, a heat shield or insulating spacer under the carb base would help keep the carb and fuel cooler.

·
Registered
84 Posts
sounds like you have a fuel level problem inside the carb. the fuel level is to high so when the carb is hot the fuel expands and dribbles out the boosters in the primariy tubes. if the carb hasnt been rebuilt rebuild it or have it rebuilt making sure the replacement parts are made of VITON. float level has to be right. VITON parts dont react with new fuel blends.

·
Registered
117 Posts
it couldbea small piece of trash in the needle /seat assy, try this,open hiid remove air cleaner, start engine , by hand open carb about 1/2 throttle, then take the other hand and try choking the engine down but not stalling, almost stall,but dont, do this several times, then let the engine idle down and clear itself out, this process may wash out small bits of trash fron the needle seat, if this does not work, time to rebuild carb and always replace the plastic float assy, and check base fro leaks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts