Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been contemplating trading up to an 02-03 Z06 for a while now. Do you think the price will drop that much on the C5’s when the new C6 arrives. Would it be worth the wait??

I have heard that they will drop in price.
And I have also heard that there will still be a demand and the price will stay pretty fixed.

Just wondering what you all think??

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
basecorvette said:
I have been contemplating trading up to an 02-03 Z06 for a while now. Do you think the price will drop that much on the C5’s when the new C6 arrives. Would it be worth the wait??

I have heard that they will drop in price.
And I have also heard that there will still be a demand and the price will stay pretty fixed.

Just wondering what you all think??
If there is a significant increase of the MSRP for the C6 vs. C5, then you might see stong new C5 sales for the remainder of the model year with the used C5's still holding decent value as well.

If the C6 has mixed reviews, a C5 could still sell strong - that will help keep values up for most low-mile clean C5's..

BUT, if the C6 kicks ass, and is only a few bucks more than the MSRP of a C5... then you could see a mass exodus of people dumping their C5's on the market to get a C6. If the market starts getting a lot of used C5's, it will drive prices down as everyone is trying to get their C5's sold and will keep undercutting each other.

I'm rambling.:buhbye:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the ramblin':thumbsup:

I have a feeling that the MSRP of the C6 will be quite a bit higher. Just my opinion.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,520 Posts
I'm betting that the C6 will be about 5K more than the C5 and the first year you won't see much discounting off of MSRP. Some dealer will probably charge additional mark up through the year of next year. IMHO

·
Registered
283 Posts
C5 Pricing etc

There are really 2 variables:\
1) When the C6 comes out the C5 will not be the "latest" style so prices are likely to drop a bit on the 02-03 cars (but not by much)
2) The drop in value will be countered by what will probably be considerable media and press activity over the C6. When everyone starts paying lots of attention to the C6 then Corvette's overall will get more attention. This frenzy of activity may very well keep the 02-03 cars prices high.

My gut feeling is that later/collectible C5's will maintain a high resale price. Earlier C5s (97-99) will probably see the biggest drop in value once the C6 comes out. With teh economy the way it is sellers will most likely be flexable with negotiations. The vette market is relitavely small especially if you buy before the winter. I would hold off until Oct-Nov and pick up 02 because that is when prices will hit the bottom..

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Re: Re: Question about C5 prices??

Patrick96LT4 said:
BUT, if the C6 kicks ass, and is only a few bucks more than the MSRP of a C5... then you could see a mass exodus of people dumping their C5's on the market to get a C6. If the market starts getting a lot of used C5's, it will drive prices down as everyone is trying to get their C5's sold and will keep undercutting each other.

I'm rambling.:buhbye:
I tend to agree with this for the regular C-5s, but I think the price on the Z06 will stay pretty strong for a while. :)

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
If the C6 Z06 has 500 hp what will keep the C5 Z06's high? Not much.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
TreCool626 said:
If the C6 Z06 has 500 hp what will keep the C5 Z06's high? Not much.
:agree:

I see a Z06 at every stop light. They are hardly rare enough to warrant a better resale return than a non-Z06 C5.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts