Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '73 L-82 4-speed
REALISTICALY how much HP can the stock drivetrain take with stock size tires ???
I'm assumeing 370hp is safe.... that's the highest HP from a factory C3 i can find
I know it's a 30 year old car and things will break but how much was it designed to handle???
Any thoughts would be helpfull

·
Registered
0 Posts
I think if you put 370 hp you better expect things to break on a 73 origional drive train. The drive train could break now with your currant setup....Vettes like to break! :( I have noticed the more HP I throw at mine the more **** it gives me!:( I still love it!:)

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,626 Posts
Not attached to a Vette but I used to have a '30 Chevy with a small block TH400 and a '76 Vette rear end sitting on coil overs. The engine was dyno'd at max hp of 423 and tq od 431. Rubber was 285x70-15 That puppy was rode hard but stayed together. The only drive train problem was shearing a trailing arm bolt but the internals of the rear end lasted.

Like you said. it's 30 years old. It's just like torqueing a bolt. How tight do you torque it? You tighten it until it breaks then back it off a half a turn.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Your 73 has the same rear end and clutch that came in 73 big block cars. It can VERY easily handle 370 BHP. Hell, it can probably handle 370HP at the rear wheels. A good set of HD U-joints and differential output flanges wouldn't hurt, though. :thumbsup:

my 69 four speed made about 385 HP through a stock drivetrain, and I could launch that car on cheater slicks at 3500 RPM without anything breaking. The only change to my suspension setup was a set of polyurethane bushings.

Do it! build the horsepower! your car will love you for it....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts