Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are running long tube headers, is it necessary to go without cats? I'm interested in installing some but have no desire to eliminate my cats. I still enjoy fresh air. The extra 5 horses aren't worth the bad air.
What set up do you have?

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
I don't have cats.It adds about $400 bucks to a header kit.
If your car is tunned right,theres still plenty clean air to breath.Theres a couple guy's on here that pass a smog test without cats.
Not to sound like an ass,but when 3rd world countries stop pumping tons of desiel fumes and other crap into the air,then maybe i'll take air quality a little more seriously,but with so much gross polluting from other countries,is the US and others really making a difference in the global picture?Were all in the same bubble.I live in fresh air heaven,for now, the air is still clear anyway.

I see it as all or nothing,if the car has a combustion engine,it's polluting.

·
DC Crew
1,949 Posts
Villain said:
If you are running long tube headers, is it necessary to go without cats? I'm interested in installing some but have no desire to eliminate my cats. I still enjoy fresh air. The extra 5 horses aren't worth the bad air.
What set up do you have?
No itr is not necessary. I am running the kooks long tube header system with high flow cats and x pipe.

·
Registered
288 Posts
LG Pro LTs with cats, here. Have to pass a sniffer test. Most of the best headers (LG, Kooks, Dynotech) come as a package with an X-pipe and offroad pipes or optional hi-flow cats. The LG Street series LTs have an option to attach to the stock pipes, as well as hi-flow cats.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Villain said:
What set up do you have?
I would always personally run catalytic convertors with long tube headers...

Doing my personal part to keep the enviroment clean is a responsibility we have...JMO..

Its important in my opinion not to buy mild steel headers...I'm going with the Vette Doctors American Racing Brand Headers...

I believe ECS and 21st century are also carrying them..

Under 15oo bucks plus installation ...(about 3 hundred for labor)

X pipe..catalytic convertors and nice long tube headers..

LG's are good too....I personally like the ease of installation of the American RAcing brand....Time is money and I like the idea of in and out easily..

Buy Stainless steel made headers in my opinion...over mild steel.. even with jet hot coating..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, for your replies. I'm glad to see I'm not alone in wanting to breath clean air. Now I'm sure gas mileage suffers some, but are you satisfied with the HP gains? Can you give me any ideas about power and torque?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
If you get a tune,about 25 to 30.I don't have a tune yet,and my 1/4 mile numbers stayed exactly were they were stock.And my car runs hella rich.Theres just not any good tunning options out here.I have something lined up,but might trade for a c6 soon.
I agree about stainless.My system is highly polished stainless steel from headers to exhaust tips.Since my car is lowered 3 1/2 inhes,a mild steel header would already have a flat spot,my stainless ones,just a scratch.Heres the system i got,it was 1300 bucks shipped to hawaii 2 day air,you can get this with cats,just add $350 bucks.It took me 6 hours in the driveway with the car on jack stands.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
I agree,i wanted to take a pic of the stock next to the new,but i just got my camera back the other day.
I should add this,even though my 1/4 mile didn't change (no tune),from a roll,say 40 mph on up,the car feels alot stronger.I haven't gone over 145 mph lately,so maybe they would add power up top too,but a tune would would definatly unleash the power and torque......rich=kills power...i'm waayyyyy rich.I scanned the car before and after my install.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Villain said:
Thanks for the info, Bob88. That site has lots of good info, except I didn't see a cost page. I guess I'll have to call for the prices.
Yep, have to call. When you do, talk to Chris.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts