Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 05 about a month ago, loaded 3LT/Z-51, 25K miles. All my previous vettes were autos. What would be all this "clunking" noise coming from the drive train when shifting from 1st to 2nd. The sound somewhat sounds like shot u-joints. Would this be coming from the pressure plate? Thanks in advance. Buy the way, the thread about the "clutch spring" was very helpful. Best thing since sliced bread. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought my 05 about a month ago, loaded 3LT/Z-51, 25K miles. All my previous vettes were autos. What would be all this "clunking" noise coming from the drive train when shifting from 1st to 2nd. The sound somewhat sounds like shot u-joints. Would this be coming from the pressure plate? Thanks in advance. Buy the way, the thread about the "clutch spring" was very helpful. Best thing since sliced bread. :thumbsup:
yea, i see what your saying. try shifting at about 3,000 rpm from 1st to 2nd.it clunks only when i shift at real low rpm. my vette use to clunk around turns only in gear, i brought it to the dealer and they said they had to change the rear end fluid, takes about one hour. this happens on a few vettes the dealer told me. About that clutch spring i ordered a 2003 c5 clutch spring i hear they work alot better, i had my clutch spring out for about 1 day, and i wanted to be safe so i put the old one back in, very tricky ( if you want to put it back in, just ask me or someone else, or if you already know.it will save you some time. theres a trick to it.) there is alot more vibration w/out the spring, if you put it back in there is no vibration.a tech at a local dealer took his spring out, and nothing but problems he said. that's why i ordered the c5 spring.;)

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would say what your hearing is the joints in the torque tube. they are rubber and tend to compress and decompress on acceleration and deceleration. Its a normal noise and will decrease with smoother shifting.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always noticed when shifting around 3k there was no noise..... but then I noticed myself driving the car in "race mode" :laughing: I was just wondering if driving (shifting) it normal at low rpm's and hearing this noise was normal. Now I know this is a c6 characteristic. Thanks for the information guys. In addition, the skip shift 1-4 is a pain in the butt. Thank god the windows are dark so people cant see the driver fumbling for a gear :laughing: I was considering the install of the Predator PCM programmer. Have any of you installed this? I've had a programmer installed in my 05 2500 hd 6.0 and it made a big improvement.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
its all the play in the system it will go away when ya change your shifting habits.try a slower clutch release

1 - 5 of 5 Posts