Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting HANs device, but learned that it only works if you have multi-point harness, which I don't. In order to put multi-point harness, I need to put roll bar or harness bar installed into the car. (so I have to get harness bar, harness, and HANs)

While I was searching, I found simple donut-shape neck braces (like a foam padded travel pillow).
http://www.amazon.com/K1-Race-Gear-701231-Nomex/dp/B0041QZQAS

My question is, does anyone know if it would help from impact? (if not, what's the purpose of this thing?)
Any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I've been thinking about getting HANs device, but learned that it only works if you have multi-point harness, which I don't. In order to put multi-point harness, I need to put roll bar or harness bar installed into the car. (so I have to get harness bar, harness, and HANs)

While I was searching, I found simple donut-shape neck braces (like a foam padded travel pillow).
http://www.amazon.com/K1-Race-Gear-701231-Nomex/dp/B0041QZQAS

My question is, does anyone know if it would help from impact? (if not, what's the purpose of this thing?)
Any input will be appreciated.
If you don't have full cage, then you shouldn't be doing anything that makes you think you need HANS.

The basic progression of sfaety devices
1. Helmet
2. Roll Hoop/bar
3. Multipoint Harness
4. Triangulated Roll cage
5. HANS device

You don't really want to skip steps unless they are rendundant

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you don't have full cage, then you shouldn't be doing anything that makes you think you need HANS.
^^^ QFT.

Just to answer your question though, the donuts are meant to support your helmet and to take the strain of g-forces tugging on your helmet during normal driving to reduce fatigue. They are not meant to provide any measurable difference in survivability in the event of a catastrophic impact. While i think they are better than nothing, in the types of accidents that would cause certain death, i don't believe they will prevent any damage.

If anyone has any test data for them, please share. I've never been able to find anything. I suspect that's because they aren't meant to protect in a crash.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

I was doing some more research and was planning to go with Safety Solutions R3. - it seems pretty solid system.

Your posts make me re-think about roll cage again....

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I would go with a roll bar before installing a harness bar. A harness bar seems like a waste of money to me...

Just one old mans opinion...;)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would go with a roll bar before installing a harness bar. A harness bar seems like a waste of money to me...

This is actually a very good point. I cringe when i see guys using harnesses with no roll bars. Believe it or not, if you don't have a roll bar, in a rollover you have a much better chance to survive with the standard 3-pt seat belt. Why? Because you tend to get pushed out of the way of the collapsing roof.

No roll bar + harness = crush.

Do NOT use a harness without a roll bar. A cage would be better, but a roll bar at a minimum.

Just curious, but what are you planning on doing that would make you need a HANS device?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious, but what are you planning on doing that would make you need a HANS device?
Well,,, nothing too serious... Just HPDEs.
As I go to track more, I could tell that I was pushing the car harder which makes the chance of 'incidents' higher.
And on one of the last track day I went to, one Nismo Z went into a wall - that really made me think about the fact that I have a loving family that I have to take care...

So this all started...

man,,, I kinda liked my trunk space of my vette.. :smack (if I put in a 4 point roll bar, it's gonna eat up those spaces... :D )

Anyway,, thanks for everyone's advice.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

and your signature says
"Don't mess with old men, they didn't get old by being stupid." :thumbsup:

I gotta do some re-thinking about this safety equipment.
- I almost purchased Safety Solutions R3 yesterday... (the head and neck saver without multi-point harness)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well,,, nothing too serious... Just HPDEs.
As I go to track more, I could tell that I was pushing the car harder which makes the chance of 'incidents' higher.
At the very least I would install a roll bar and use a harness and HANS. When I drove my C4 on the street and did HPDE, one of the first things I did was install a 4 point bar, harness and a little bit later came the Hans. The wall is not any softer for "Just HPDE" cars. If you hit a wall or flip in an HPDE it does just as much damage. Safety items should be first on the list of mods. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the very least I would install a roll bar and use a harness and HANS. When I drove my C4 on the street and did HPDE, one of the first things I did was install a 4 point bar, harness and a little bit later came the Hans. The wall is not any softer for "Just HPDE" cars. If you hit a wall or flip in an HPDE it does just as much damage. Safety items should be first on the list of mods. :thumbsup:
I certainly don't think the wall would be any softer for Just HPDEs.. wdtiger asked what I was planning to do that makes me think I would need HANS, so my answer was 'just HPDE, not some serious racing' (which I still thought I would need HANS or something similar). Yes, I agree with you that the safety mod is the first stuffs I need to consider before trying to make my car go any faster with crazy mods.

As I mentioned, I saw a Nismo Z hitting the tire wall pretty hard last year, and that really made me thinking. I found this article right after I posted this thread.
http://www.purplepatchmotorsports.com/pdf/Safety.pdf

Anyways... I definitely will get at least some head and neck protection device before my first track day of this year. (and possibly the roll bar, harness and full face helmet - I currently have a open face helmet, but read quite a few articles that strongly suggest full face one versus open face)

Thanks all for great advices. :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts