Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the definition?

How many countries need to be drawn into the conflict?
What needs to be met for multiple wars or conflicts to be defined as a World War?

For instance:

If the UN or multi national peace keeping forces including the US, NATO ect.... engage in similar armed tactics with Libya, with more middle eastern nations like Syria, Iran, Pakistan, and maybe seven more terrorist sponsoring countries, would that qualify?

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Many regions of the world at war ?

I was close...

world war
Noun: A war involving many large nations in all different parts of the world. The name is commonly given to the wars of 1914–18 and 1939–45

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many regions of the world at war ?

I was close...

world war
Noun: A war involving many large nations in all different parts of the world. The name is commonly given to the wars of 1914–18 and 1939–45

so if Japan never got involved, it would not have been a world war?
:huh:

and considering there was never really any fighting on US soil...

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
That still covers Europe, Asia and Africa... multiple regions at war.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Your considerations would be incorrect. Russia is in both, simultaneously.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"The division of the landmass of Eurasia into the continents of Asia and Europe is an anomaly, as no sea separates them. An alternative view, that Eurasia is a single continent, results in a six-continent view of the world. This view is held by some geographers, including some in Russia (which spans Asia and Europe), some East European countries[citation needed] and by some in Japan[citation needed]. The separation of Eurasia into Europe and Asia is viewed by some as a residue of Eurocentrism: "In physical, cultural and historical diversity, China and India are comparable to the entire European landmass, not to a single European country. A better (if still imperfect) analogy would compare France, not to India as a whole, but to a single Indian state, such as Uttar Pradesh."[12][clarification needed] However, for historical and cultural reasons, the view of Europe as a separate continent continues in several categorizations."
:D

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
So... So you redefine continent ? Doesn't make it so. It is two separate continents. East is east and west is west. You are attempting to combine the two.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Hows this for a made up definition? If fighting is occurrng in the rim of both great oceans at the same time, it's a world war

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hows this for a made up definition? If fighting is occurrng in the rim of both great oceans at the same time, it's a world war
Tthat sounds good tex. I would add however, that it would have to be a total war, where all of the resources of multiple nations are focused solely on victory.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Second question:

What would happen to the debt in the US and Europe if they/we got wound up in large, heavy engagement, middle east war with a dozen countries?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
It's an interesting question, and history has a way of shaping the definition. For instance, the American Civil War was not popularly called that at the time, and to many unrepentant Southerners it is still referred to as "The War of Northern Agression", "Mr. Lincoln's War", or my personal favorite, "The Recent Unpleasantness". World War 1 was known at the time (or more properly, in the years immediately after) as "The Great War", or the unfortunately optimistic "The War to End All Wars". I remember years ago trying to look up "World War 1" in a very old set of family encyclopedias, thinking it might give a different perspective on the conflict. I couldn't find it easily, until I found almost an entire volume under the simple title "The World War". In retrospect, of course they wouldn't have called it "World War 1". In 1924, the publishing date of those volumes, they could not even imagine there being a World War 2.

The world has changed a lot with the current predominance of global terrorism, and the case can be made that we have been a world at war for many years now. The old thinking of armed conflicts with defined battle lines and well-recognized theaters of conflict has been replaced by a kind of world-wide angst about what could happen in your own backyard tomorrow, wherever that backyard may be, perpetrated by enemies potentially unseen and unknown.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts