Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new here, but I've got some questions for all you C3 owners... I am thinking about buying a C3, but am not sold on it yet. Please exuse my ignorance, as I know nothing about cars at all, especially corvettes.

I've noticed that a select few C3 models have standard transmissions? I'm no car expert, but I find that a bit strange for a sports car such as this... would you suggest paying more for a standard C3? How does a standard C3 feel like when you drive? Can you replace your automatic transmission with a standard one on a C3?

How much did you buy your C3 for? How much would you say is reasonable? Did you get hit with high repair costs when you got yours?

The C3 I have in mind is very cheap (3000.00 bucks to be exact) and it's a godawful white color with some fender damage. How much would it be to paint the car professionally?

Thanks!
Domino

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Hello Domino!

I'm not a c3 guy, but someone will jump in and help you out soon enough.

Just want to say welcome to digitalcorvettes! Hollar if you need anything.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Domino said:
welcome:buhbye:

I've noticed that a select few C3 models have standard transmissions? I'm no car expert, but I find that a bit strange for a sports car such as this... would you suggest paying more for a standard C3?
no

How does a standard C3 feel like when you drive?
It's a smile maker

Can you replace your automatic transmission with a standard one on a C3?
sure

How much did you buy your C3 for? How much would you say is reasonable?
C3's are collector cars now. The prices are all over the scale. You have to judge the car and your wallet and make the match you're comfortable with

Did you get hit with high repair costs when you got yours?
no, but I've invested about 15K in it with mods and improvements

The C3 I have in mind is very cheap (3000.00 bucks to be exact) and it's a godawful white color with some fender damage. How much would it be to paint the car professionally?
$400 at Maaco to $8000 at a specialty shop. Average is around $3500.

·
Registered
68 Posts
questions..

1) Yes..the resale value for a manual tranny vs auto is anywhere form 1000 - 2000 bucks, being what I have been seeing for market prices.

2)Very happy :)

3) Yes..within reason varying on the early C3's to late C3's can get a involved with conversion...but it usually can be done.

4)In 1987, I bought my 81' with 44k miles on it...immaculate and paid 13k for it. As of 2003, it has 54k miles on it and has an agreed value of 15.5k..still immaculate...a original car. This is a tough question, condition of car, options, mods, if you looking for matching #'s, all this will lend to the price of the vette your looking at.

5)Not really, do all my own repairs..as I trust no one else to mess with my car.

6)400-8k is a respectable range..you going to get what you pay for.

Welcome to the forums and hope this has helped a little..thanks!

·
Registered
175 Posts
The manuals are more rare, and the reason we have so many auto's is make it appeal to more people.

price varies alot, depending on numbers, area of country, and condition of car.

Personal recomendation since I just did this and am like wow, get rid of the stock GM 4 speed and through in a Hurst.

·
Registered
749 Posts
you will have enough problems keeping your vette alive and running.

if you really want a 4 speed, buy one that way. converting will be a real pain in the ass. it means you will also have to change the drive shaft and all u-joints, as well as floor pedals, etc etc etc...

save yourself alot of aggravation and problems...get one that is factory.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For 3k be prepared to constanly put money into the car,what a minute thats what we all do, it's a constant ongoing project but the reward and attention is great.A C3 will be 20 sothing years old and need work............:cool:
I have a 75stingray 350/400 I paid 6k drove good needed acarb and brakes could of left it at that but I have poured a easy 10k since then and i'm no were close to done.

Check out my pics in the gallery under clar2001

·
Registered
746 Posts
I would suggest staying away from the corvettes. They take alot of money to rebuild or alot of expertice to do it yourself. I have about $30,000 in my 75 and I do everything myself. I also have a machine shop so alot of my pieces are hand built.
For general transportation they are not a good choice.
Before everyone flames me I have driven my corvette for 14 years and have paid my due but for a young kid to buy a $3000 corvette and expect to fix it up into something decent is just a money pit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree 100% with Norval being young and expecting to fix up a corvette with no help is a definate sinkhole. If it wasnt for my grampa who helped me get my car running it would be at a mechanics shop with a couple thousand dollar bill.

P.S. and my car was garage stored and never driven in the rain or snow.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Battsup said:
I agree 100% with Norval being young and expecting to fix up a corvette with no help is a definate sinkhole. If it wasnt for my grampa who helped me get my car running it would be at a mechanics shop with a couple thousand dollar bill.

P.S. and my car was garage stored and never driven in the rain or snow.
Hey Battsup, welcome to digitalcorvettes. :buhbye:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
norvalwilhel said:
I would suggest staying away from the corvettes. They take alot of money to rebuild or alot of expertice to do it yourself. I have about $30,000 in my 75 and I do everything myself. I also have a machine shop so alot of my pieces are hand built.
For general transportation they are not a good choice.
Before everyone flames me I have driven my corvette for 14 years and have paid my due but for a young kid to buy a $3000 corvette and expect to fix it up into something decent is just a money pit.
I agree that a C3 is a poor choice as a daily driver, just for the fact that the A/C is horrible on these cars, and they get horrendous gas mileage. But look at this from the opposite point of view: 3000 bucks for ANY running corvette is a steal. He could learn an awful lot about how cars (and tools) work while fixing up his car, and when it's done, it can be sold for twice what he paid for it. An $800 paint job and a set of seat covers alone could potentially double the price of this car. My first vette was a 76 that needed rear wheel bearings and a new AC system within six months of buying it. Was I bummed at the time? yes. Would I trade the value of the experience for my money back? No way. working on that 76 gave me the courage to pull my 68 convertible out of a junkyard and rebuild it, as well as build a screaming black on black 69. everyone in the corvette hobby has to start somewhere. As you and I know, building your own car is far more gratifying and satisfying than buying someone else's completed project.:cool:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
I agree that a C3 is a poor choice as a daily driver, just for the fact that the A/C is horrible on these cars, and they get horrendous gas mileage. But look at this from the opposite point of view: 3000 bucks for ANY running corvette is a steal. He could learn an awful lot about how cars (and tools) work while fixing up his car, and when it's done, it can be sold for twice what he paid for it. An $800 paint job and a set of seat covers alone could potentially double the price of this car. My first vette was a 76 that needed rear wheel bearings and a new AC system within six months of buying it. Was I bummed at the time? yes. Would I trade the value of the experience for my money back? No way. working on that 76 gave me the courage to pull my 68 convertible out of a junkyard and rebuild it, as well as build a screaming black on black 69. everyone in the corvette hobby has to start somewhere. As you and I know, building your own car is far more gratifying and satisfying than buying someone else's completed project.
hum 3 grand for the car....8 grand in paint...100 bucks in seat covers......doubles the value of the car....3x2 is 6..he's already in the hold 2100 bucks off the bat....

C3's are probalby not the best choice when it comes down to daily driving....but if you want to learn about cars and have someone to teach you it sounds like it might be a good investment...i'd look for one the has a good body on it though...and not in need of paint too badly expecially if you plan on driving it every day..no need to put a ton of money into something your going to drive and get chips/scratches in.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Punk boy has the answer. One can go a long way with a manual and few tools. Learning from experience is a valueable commidity.

Started playing with Corvettes in high school. Bought a '73 back in 1982 for $4000 and daily drove it with gradual restoration over 2 years and upgraded to a then $10000 '67 stingray.

Make it your choice. Follow your dreams...

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=4105

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: Re: Questions for all C3 owners..

C3's are collector cars now. The prices are all over the scale. You have to judge the car and your wallet and make the match you're comfortable with
:surprised I'm driving a collectable?
Who woulda figured?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bought a '71 in 1982 for $3,000. It's never been a daily driver but it's been a lot of fun. Getting a C3 for 3 grand now means you're going to have to put some time and money into restoring it. You'll probably like the stick more than an auto. The body work and painting will probably start at about $1,000 on up. Good luck...

·
Registered
10 Posts
C3's can be fun. Just depends on what you want to do with it. Some people fix up for shows. Some for daily drivers. Mine has 8 point role bars and no A/C and no heater. 1/4 mile car that goes to and from on a trailer. Spend what you can but keep it fun or the experence will not be a good one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are careful you might get as lucky as I have been. I bought an '81 4 years ago for $12,500 that was absolutely perfect. It had 45,000 miles and cared for like a baby. I didn't argue over the price. It has a 4-speed, mirror t-tops, rear t-top carrier, power seat, windows, white w red leather, etc., and everything works. Since I've owned it, I've only replaced an oxygen sensor, rear light socket and a mirror. I think it is worth about $15,500. I still have only 46,800 miles on it and just drive it every week or two to warm up the synthetic oil and enter it in shows (lots of trophies by the way.)

Good luck. I hope you enjoy your 'vette as much as I am enjoying mine. I don't know of any other car you can buy, enjoy as much, then sell it later without losing money, or gaining some.

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
I bought my 79 2 weeks after i turned 16 fro 2500. I put a cheap paint job on it and a cheap engine and drove ti daily. Then after i got a lil more money i put a new engine seats, carpet and a paint job on it. I have 5500 in it now including the purchase of the car. It is my daily driver in the summer and i think it is economical just for all the fun i have driving it.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts