Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2002 convertible 3 weels ago & have a couple of questions.
1. The temp raises to 220 when idling & I do not here the fans running. What temp do they turn on?
2. I turned the heater on for the first time this morning & smelled anti-freeze. Does this mean that the heater core is leaking or could there be another reason for the smell.
Thanks Don

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Hi Don,
It's been a while since i did these mods,so i'm rusty on the stock settings.There are 2 speeds on both fans,the high speed kicks in at about 235*,thats not a misprint,:laughing: I can't remember when the low speeds come on.If you run the a/c,the low speed run all the time.(good for the staging lines at the race track).
You might get different opinions on this,but i have done alot of track testing,and at 235*,the car is .4 slower than at 185*.
There are thermostats and fan switchs to turn fans on sooner from the vendors on this site.I keep mine in the 185* - 200* range.With the high humidity and heavy traffic in hawaii,the highest i see is 210*,i guess thats my cars cooling system saturation point,a bigger radiator would probably be needed to stay cooler than that.Hope it helps a little.:buhbye:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Sounds like there might be a leak. You have warranty left on car, correct? Make an appointment and take it in. They will probably do a pressure test for leaks. I can't imagine that the smell is from the condensor or the "dirty" sock smell.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. Both of you always give correct replies........Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts