·
Registered
181 Posts
who sells them?
how much?
are they emission legal?
how hard are they to put on?
do they improve or hurt performance?:D :D

above questions are geared towards a 1979 with a 350 small block.

thanks in advance for you help with this topic.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
who sells them?
how much?
are they emission legal?
how hard are they to put on?
do they improve or hurt performance?:D :D

above questions are geared towards a 1979 with a 350 small block.

thanks in advance for you help with this topic.

Aftermarket side pipes, the type that burn your legs BADLY are available for under a grand/set....as I recall...not cheep....lo production volume....
reproductions go for a LOT more...but look stock...and won't burn you legs...

The pipes are certainly legendary, but they don't flow as well as 2.5 inch stock systems, apparently from what I hear...., second off, the show cars they concepted those off, had header tubes coming out the gill panels in the sides, and the collector/pipe was below the door hinges....

somehow it never quite looked as cool in production as that show car from the '60s.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
who sells them? -- Bolt on - Hooker and factory style (GM and stainless works)
how much? depends - factory with real side pipe covers $3000 +, factory with fiberglass covers $900, Hookers for as little as $1000

are they emission legal? depends on your state.

how hard are they to put on? Basic hand tools.

do they improve or hurt performance? Depends. Factory sidepipes are pretty restrictive, I wouldn't call them a performance option, though some companies are now making factory pipes with bigger tubes.
The Hookers with a good spiral baffle would help performance ove rmost under car exhaust systems.

Cheers,
Nick

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
who sells them? -- Bolt on - Hooker and factory style (GM and stainless works)
how much? depends - factory with real side pipe covers $3000 +, factory with fiberglass covers $900, Hookers for as little as $1000

are they emission legal? depends on your state.

how hard are they to put on? Basic hand tools.

do they improve or hurt performance? Depends. Factory sidepipes are pretty restrictive, I wouldn't call them a performance option, though some companies are now making factory pipes with bigger tubes.
The Hookers with a good spiral baffle would help performance ove rmost under car exhaust systems.

Cheers,
Nick
:agree: I don't have personal experience, but I've heard a lot of testimonials from guys on here. To get the most out of your pipes, order them from Jet Hott for their ceramic coating. Then get a set of STS baffles and junk those restrictive Hooker inserts :down:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
I had Hooker chrome pipes on my 72 when I bought it back in 1978. No mufflers - plain old open pipes. It screamed to say the least. I didn't like them with the Th400 and the fact your legs were too close getting out. Think about putting your leg on a charcoal grill.
I ended up removing them and selling them for $100. The plating was better on them then the new ones today as well. If you look at used ones now they pit in between the tubes. I also ran chambered pipes and think very little of them. The best IMO are 2.5 under car through a 50 series flowmaster of other good muffler.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Stainless steel hookers wont rust and with spiral baffles will give performance and sound great. For burning your legs these are several heat shields on the market to protect you and your family.:cheers:

·
Registered
60 Posts
hooker super competition......and you have a choic of two baffles..one quiet and one loud.....and they are 1 3/4 dia tubes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts