Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice/opinions regarding my planned SC installation. Despite my best efforts to research specifics I still am unclear about a few things and could really use some help.

I have several quotes for installation. All are within about 15% with each other, but differ with their packages. I have a 2005 C6 with H/C and a stock lower.

1. Do I need to switch out my current cam for a "blower" cam? Does the blower cam increase power gains from a SC or does help reduce engine damage from boost (or both)? What is the risk with not swapping the cam?

One place said they dont need to do the swap, the other said definitely, and the third said it was up to me for added cost.

2. Meth Injection cools intake air, increases Octane level, reduces risk of detontation, allows for higher boost levels, and increases power output estimated to be 40-60 RWHP. Is all of this correct? Is there any reason not to get a Meth Injection kit added?

I appreciate any help, thanks.

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
You do not NEED to swap your cam to use a SC. There are specific SC cam profiles that will increase the power you will get because it maximizes the additional air from boost. A non-SC cam will not grenade your engine, assuming it is tuned correctly (which applies to SC cams as well). It really is all about how much you are willing to spend and how much power do you want to make. a SC cam will yield more power, but with a stock bottem end I personally wouldn't get much over 650hp.

A blower cam does not decrease the possibility of engine damage. The main factors for that are overall power level (will the parts hold it), detonation (is it tuned properly and with the correct octane level), and fuel supply (is the engine getting enough fuel under WOT and 100% load to not cause a lean condition).

A meth system will not hurt you at all. It is beneficial to any engine build- with additional benefits if the engine is tuned for its use. The only thing you have to watch is that you do not run out of juice for it, which can result in engine damage if it is tuned that close to the edge.

I am building a 412 LS2 good for about 550 rwhp for my '00 and will be installing a meth system as well. With summer ambient air temps around 100 deg f and near 100% humidity, it will be a godsend for summer performance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts