Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was an ugly two weeks, but I was bound and determined to have my car in paint on the 2011 Hot Rod Power Tour.

My body man and painter asked me t onot reveal their identity.

I know that we cut many corners and made repairs with Duraglass and bondo that should have been done in fiberglass, but there jsut was not enough time.

This is a temporary paint job anyway.

4 days before I was scheduled to leave for the Hot Rod Power Tour, everyone was trying to convince me that I needed to drive the car in primer or at best the white sealer coat. I refused to agree, and pissed off everyone. My main guy lost interest and just about walked off the job. I spent the next 3 days hard at it. I would get there before him, work while he was eating and taking a break, then when he went home at the end of the day, I worked hours into the night.

I am proud of what we accomplished.

Before:

As featured on the Hot Rod Power Tour website Cocoa Beach page:

It could easily have been the most photographed non-professional built car on the tour. There were dozens of flat paint jobs on the tour and half of them were red & black.

I am glad that we ran out of red base coat and I had some overspray issues that kept me form clear coating the finish. The flat look was definitely "in" this year.

Everyone says not to touch the car. I look at it and see all the flaws, but people love it.

I thought I would share.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I saw this vette and was wondering who owned it not realizing you had "changed" your paint scheme. I should have realized the license tag and put the two of you together.

Yes i do have many pics of your car. It was looking great the many times I saw it.

What is the significance of the race number? I saw this on many rides.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw this vette and was wondering who owned it not realizing you had "changed" your paint scheme. I should have realized the license tag and put the two of you together.

Yes i do have many pics of your car. It was looking great the many times I saw it.

What is the significance of the race number? I saw this on many rides.
Thanks. The paint was an idea I have been mulling over for a long time.

The car is a 72. I put the FAST EFI system on the big block last year, and decided when I got the tag, to go with "FAST 72". Then when I decided to do a road race theme on the paint, "72" was the only choice for a number. That way the tag referenced the fuel injection system, the year of the car, and the car number.

I got the car to the painter on Sunday. We worked on some final sanding (I could not find my roll of 320, so we finish sanded the car in 180). He painted the car Monday afternoon, then I trailered it to my shop and put it back together Tuesday and Wednesday night after work, then went in early Thursday to finish installing the wheels and tires, seat and some final trim pieces before I hit the road at 9:30 AM.

The car needs about 3 weeks of bodywork to get everything right. I lost some definition in the front nose peak when I added 6 layers of fiberglass over the header bar. There are a lot of areas that still need filler and blocking. I may get Josh to make me some flares from Mistress and re-do the fenders this winter. It all depends on my other projects.

Next on the list is a cage and racing seats, then a Vintage AC system.

I was hoping to see KAOS on the tour and get to run with you some. The road course at the GM Proving grounds in Milford was a blast. I had in front of me and got to open her up just a little.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Awesome...love how your car came together from all aspects of the build.

I saw a LOT of guys running with racing numbers on their cars. Some of the YearOne guys had them also. I thought it was some part of a club or a memorial to a car guy or something since I had not see that many before.

Flares would definitely be a nice touch on our ride but it looks great already. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Wow! Great job in such a short period of time. I love the paint scheme, but let me put in my vote against the flat look. I don't get it. I guess it's a good thing I'm not a fish. I'm attracted to shiny things. :laughing:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
Nice job, wow that was a fast lead time!:thumbsup: How did it run? That is the car I built the 31's for correct?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jeff,

After all the effort you put into the Talladega deal the week before PowerTour, you accomplished a lot!
We joined the Power Tour in Nashville but never saw your car until Detroit. Looked for you there but never saw you.
Car looks great. Here's a picture from Metro Park.

[/IMG]

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Beautiful job !!!

I think that it takes Cojones of steel to undertake something like that on such short notice and come out the other side looking so damned beautiful !!!

:cheers:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice job, wow that was a fast lead time!:thumbsup: How did it run? That is the car I built the 31's for correct?
Yes, Gary, this is the one.

Ran perfect. I was late to Valdosta and Montogmery, so I did not get to run her down the track.

I did, however, play some enroute.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think you car turned out good .one question i have .can you put bondo over glass and it last over time?
I don't think bondo is a long-term fix, but the car's previous repairs were over 20 years old, and they used body filler to fill holes. It help up, until I started grinding away with 80 gritt discs.

For the most part, we used Duraglass to fill the broken spots and then skimcoated it with body filler. Mike laid glass over the areas that will be stressed. He put 6 layers on the nose. I had to grind away about 4 of them before the headlights would even open.

It still needs glass work. My plan is to put some Mistress flares on her this winter and grind out the body filler and fix all the low spots with glass. It is much easier to work with than bondo. You just have to get past all the itching.

I need to figure out my paint scheme for the 2012 Hot Rod Power Tour...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks great! I love the flat "colors", I bet we'll see more and more of that in the future.
Yeah, it was a busy winter. I did a complete suspension rebuild (less the steering box).

I wanted to have her ready for Talladega, but it just didn't happen. We could have had a blast running the C3's on the track together!

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks for the reply .i asked about the bondo because at somepoint i would like to paint my car .after the car is stripped down i would like to take out some of the bodys waves and other problems .if i can use bondo that will make it easy .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts