Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first time at this forum, looks good! :D I recognize a lot of names from CAC. :)

Okay, tomorrow I'm going to be doing work on the exaust, and I will need to get the Vette off the ground. I looked in my Service Manual, and it has lifting points for jacks and jackstands. I know this might sound stupid, but by looking at the picture, it seems like you should put the jack/jackstand in that general place. What I mean, is there an exact place to put the jack/jackstand so that I don't bend my frame and mess everything up?

Also, what kind of "lifting sequence" should I do? This is my first time ever jacking up a car off the ground. How will I do it? Do I do: floor jack lift back right side (for example) of the Vette, then get a jackstand there. And then get the floor jack to the back left side and jack it up, and get a stand under there. Is that how it works? What I mean is how do I lift and in what order so I don't bend the frame and so forth?

I just imagine that if you lift the back right side (for example), when the back left side is on the ground, wouldn't you bend the frame up? Or no...?

Like I said, I'm doing this tomorrow morning, so some quick enlightenment on jacking up the Vette would be much appreciated. Thanks! :D

Stallion

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Hey man.

Here is how I do it.

I get a couple of blocks of wood (short pieces of 2x4).

I ease the front of the car up on the blocks. This gives me enough ground clearance to slip the floor jack under the front cross member. I put a small piece of wood on the jack lift pad and raise the front, then catch the frame rails where the manual tells you to support them.

On my car, I have sidepipes...so I just roll it under from the side and catch the center of the rear cross member and lift...then put the jacks in place.

You will have to then just jack one side at a time in the rear and set the jack stands.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I do it much like 69MyWay with an exception.

Instead of jack stands I use a stack of 2x10's. My mind is at ease knowing that the load is spread out over a bigger area.

Get a floor jack. They're cheap make the job easy.:cheers:

BTW----welcome:buhbye: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
69MyWay said:
Hey man.

Here is how I do it.

I get a couple of blocks of wood (short pieces of 2x4).

I ease the front of the car up on the blocks. This gives me enough ground clearance to slip the floor jack under the front cross member. I put a small piece of wood on the jack lift pad and raise the front, then catch the frame rails where the manual tells you to support them.

On my car, I have sidepipes...so I just roll it under from the side and catch the center of the rear cross member and lift...then put the jacks in place.

You will have to then just jack one side at a time in the rear and set the jack stands.
I'm having a hard time picturing this in my mind. :(

Okay, when you say that you "ease the front of the car up on the blocks", what do you mean? Do you drive the Vette up on them? Or how so? So, you get the front off the ground with the blocks, correct?

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
I drive it nice and easy up on the blocks.

I use this same concept with my 85 Vette which is much, much, lower than a stock one. I have to stagger a couple of blocks per side to get it up high enough to roll my jack under the dead center.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So let me get this straight, you use the floor jack to jack up the Vette on the crossmembers? They can take the force? And then just slip the jack stands in front of the rear wheels?

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Stallion said:
So let me get this straight, you use the floor jack to jack up the Vette on the crossmembers? They can take the force? And then just slip the jack stands in front of the rear wheels?
Yep, there is a rear cross member just in front of the diff. However, you may not have access to it because your exhaust runs through there. With sidepipes, the whole belly is wide open.

You will most likely notice that your front cross member is already dented in from being jacked there before. I always put a block of work on the jack for the front cross member and I put it closer to the front edge.

If yours is already dented in, then don't sweat the block.

The alternative?

(make sure to unlatch your t-tops)

You simply roll the jack just in front of the support spot on the frame rail behind the front tire. Jack it up. Place the stand in the support spot. Roll the jack to the other side, do the same thing.

Go to the rear. Place the jack on the frame rail towards the rear x member just in front of the rear tire and jack it up, then place the stand. Do the same on the other side.

The car will twist and move a bit as you are doing this. Stay clear of the underside until it is 100% up and supported. I will also usually roll the jack under the front or rear x member and rais it up for a fifth support. I also will put spare wheels and tires under the front or rear of the car (I have a spare set of 85 vette rims and tires) just incase it falls, it will land on the wheels giving me body space to escape.

These are the lengths us guys go through that don't own a lift!

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
69MyWay said:

(make sure to unlatch your t-tops)
just incase you read over it the first time

MAKE SURE YOU UNLATCH YOUR TOPS

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ended up not even having to jack her up. I took it to my uncle's shop, and we just backed her up on a trailer, got her a couple of extra feet off the ground, and then I changed the bracket.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Bill!

Hey, how is your '78 project going? Do you have any idea when she will be on the road? I would love to see how it is coming along!

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
I am making progress. Some days it seems like it is taking forever, but I am always a day closer to getting it on the road. A realistic guess would be probably a year from this Spring before it can leave the garage.

Here is a link to my website for the latest: http://home.earthlink.net/~bigdogvettes/index.html

Thanks for asking!

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts