Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a corvette, but a friend has a Front wheel drive car. Rear passenger wheel is wobbling a good 1/4 inch. She took the car to a tire shop and they told her that the steel belt was broken causing the wobble. That tire was flat a couple of weeks ago and sat on the flat for 2 days.

Would a broken steel belt on a tire cause that kind of wobble?

thanks
Paul

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
yes, if the belt breaks or has a weak spot it will cause a bulge and eventially a blowout. Parking on a curb or underinflation will usually cause such damage, a ahrd impact with road debris or an obstruction can cause it too. Sometimes however it's just junk quality. I have a belt fail and shred the tire to bits under normal driving. It was one of those POS cheap white wall tires(I think they were "defender" tires)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, if the belt breaks or has a weak spot it will cause a bulge and eventially a blowout. Parking on a curb or underinflation will usually cause such damage, a ahrd impact with road debris or an obstruction can cause it too. Sometimes however it's just junk quality. I have a belt fail and shred the tire to bits under normal driving. It was one of those POS cheap white wall tires(I think they were "defender" tires)
That's what I thought.

Thanks TT.

Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts