Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought on MTI front chin spoiler / front splitter before I attempt to install mine. It adds about 30mm to the front. I now have a hard time clearing the slightest driveways in my ls7 without the carbon fiber chin spoiler on, seems like I need jut a few more mm of height to clear. In order to clear my driveway I will need wheels to raise the car 1.3 inches (about 33mm higher all around. Michelin Pilot PS2 285/35/19 and 335/30/20 will do this. The wheel gap will decrease, while my center gravity will suffer. Sucks from a performance standpoint because anytime you raise your car from oem spec you get more body roll. Not only will I lose performance from my wheel upgrade due to weight and size needed for clearance, but now handling will be worse than an oem c5z. If you purchase the bottom cover with the front chin than you will need a cold air induction system that you can cut the radiator shroud to allow air in. The factory z06 has an open slot where air would usually pull in, the MTI carbon fiber bottom cover just seals it.

Pros:
Looks killer.
Downforce if you race at speeds of 100MPH or over.
Cons:
Expensive for quality.
Pits in clearcoat.
Flat surfaces not smooth.
Hard to wax since pits allow wax to dry in pockets.
Needs to be drilled to install.
No template or instructions to install.
Comes in a a heavy wood box which isnt needed and adds to shipping cost.
Adds 30mm to the front which is over an inch.

Now that I have given you insight on the spoiler if anyone would like to buy it off me I will sell it for $950 shipped. I paid $1100 shipped and it is never installed brand new. I have good feedback on ebay so if anyone wants this I can set up a ebay auction for the item to be bought. PM or leave a msg here. If no one buys it by 30 days I will install it.

:smack

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why does it have pits in the clear coat? Why are the flat surfaces not smooth? I thought this was a quality piece. What does Reece have to say about those things?

As much as you paid, I'd return it or get one that is right.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Any pics of the spoiler?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Why does it have pits in the clear coat? Why are the flat surfaces not smooth? I thought this was a quality piece. What does Reece have to say about those things?

:agree:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sup dvlray6, thanks for trying to help and you are very right. I love the look of this spoiler so much that I would pay for it anyday if there wasn't a quality issue. The guys at MTI said that its how it comes and couldnt supply me with a piece that pit free. Do a search online and you will know MTI isn't the best company to get a refund from. To me its not about the money but the time. I was going to buy a cam package from MTI but theres no way in hell after I would now after seeing the quality of their carbon fiber splitter. If you ever see the splitter on a car walk up and take a look at it from side angles, you'll know what im talking about. Looking on their site the splitter is worth $1100, that is why I paid that much. Its that beautiful, but when I received it. It looks like its worth $250 and belongs on a Honda. The crazy thing about this is companies that make carbon fiber honda parts do even better than them. Carbon Fiber is very time consuming to produce so you know that they do indeed check quality before sending the carbon fiber splitters out. They knew it was bad and still sent me it. MTI Racing return policy is a joke and don't expect your money till a month later. I'd never buy another single item from MTI Racing for my corvette again. Suggest anyone that plans to get motor work done from them to go check out there shop physically, judging by the carbon fiber spoiler for my c6 z06 I am expecting MTI to be a hole in the wall. I would suggest you check out KATECH instead.

·
Registered
77 Posts
:huh:

One of my friends has one on his Z and it looks very good. As for the pitting and poor quality, I did not notice that on his. I asked him about it today and he did not have any abnormal quality issues. In fact, this is his second one. He cracked the first one pretty bad not paying attention one day.

They do not make the part at thier shop. They DESIGNED the piece and have them made by a third party to thier specs. MTI is a class act shop. I know this from personal experience. They know thier stuff and do a great job on vettes. If the quality of the piece is that bad, take pictures, give Reese Cox (The owner) a call and talk to him.

Good luck.

PS: It's far from a WHOLE in a Wall....

·
Registered
240 Posts
Sup dvlray6, thanks for trying to help and you are very right. I love the look of this spoiler so much that I would pay for it anyday if there wasn't a quality issue. The guys at MTI said that its how it comes and couldnt supply me with a piece that pit free. Do a search online and you will know MTI isn't the best company to get a refund from. To me its not about the money but the time. I was going to buy a cam package from MTI but theres no way in hell after I would now after seeing the quality of their carbon fiber splitter. If you ever see the splitter on a car walk up and take a look at it from side angles, you'll know what im talking about. Looking on their site the splitter is worth $1100, that is why I paid that much. Its that beautiful, but when I received it. It looks like its worth $250 and belongs on a Honda. The crazy thing about this is companies that make carbon fiber honda parts do even better than them. Carbon Fiber is very time consuming to produce so you know that they do indeed check quality before sending the carbon fiber splitters out. They knew it was bad and still sent me it. MTI Racing return policy is a joke and don't expect your money till a month later. I'd never buy another single item from MTI Racing for my corvette again. Suggest anyone that plans to get motor work done from them to go check out there shop physically, judging by the carbon fiber spoiler for my c6 z06 I am expecting MTI to be a hole in the wall. I would suggest you check out KATECH instead.
If you've already talked to MTI and that is their position, that sucks. If you paid by CC dispute the charges and offer to return the part. This is a big part of why I pay with CCs. It is a shame it has to come to this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mti Racing Carbon Fiber Front Lip Z06 Ls7

Had a hard time getting the pits to show since the carbon fiber is a hard color to capture the pits. What I did was wiped a layer Menzerna Intensive Polish which is white and hazes so that you can see the pits I am speaking about. Bluz you should inspect the splitter much closer. I called MTI they state that its the way its made and they wouldn't supply me with a front splitter without pits. They blamed it on the manufacturer of their splitter but aren't they the ones selling it? If you sell it than i'm pretty sure they know the quality issues? Another example would be MTI selling a cam and the cam is grounded by another source. Are you going to blame the source than also? I won't spend another cent at MTI and recommend this to all vette owners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Carbon Fiber Mti Racing Spoiler For Sale

brand new and never installed as you can see by it not having any drill holes. The carbon fiber also looks like 1 layer is used and some spots are transparent at the edges due to them stretching the carbon fiber and not using a second layer maybe. PM me if anyone is interested in purchasing this chin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a thought on MTI front chin spoiler / front splitter before I attempt to install mine. It adds about 30mm to the front. I now have a hard time clearing the slightest driveways in my ls7 without the carbon fiber chin spoiler on, seems like I need jut a few more mm of height to clear. In order to clear my driveway I will need wheels to raise the car 1.3 inches (about 33mm higher all around. Michelin Pilot PS2 285/35/19 and 335/30/20 will do this. The wheel gap will decrease, while my center gravity will suffer. Sucks from a performance standpoint because anytime you raise your car from oem spec you get more body roll. Not only will I lose performance from my wheel upgrade due to weight and size needed for clearance, but now handling will be worse than an oem c5z.
I was just lurking around here and saw this post. Splitters from anywhere are going to be low. That's just a risk you have to take. I don't think it was advertised as being the same height as stock.

If you purchase the bottom cover with the front chin than you will need a cold air induction system that you can cut the radiator shroud to allow air in. The factory z06 has an open slot where air would usually pull in, the MTI carbon fiber bottom cover just seals it.
The C6 Z06 is closed off from the bottom. It breathes directly from the front grille unlike the other C4, C5, and C6s. The full splitter should work without needing a CAI of any sort.

Yours is the first I've seen of pits being in the clearcoat. All of the splitters I've seen look almost OEM. DoingOK on CF had pictures of his and it looks great. Looks like an anomaly. Did you call them?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I second those comments. I was forced to buy it from them despite their poor ratings since this design is the only one that fit the look of my project.

Same problems as everyone else:
-Pitting was terrible
-Someone felt the need to ship the thing in a wooden crate which is rediculous. Ship it in a cardboard box so the buyer doesnt get raped with fees
-I cracked mine in half today, my fault, but Id never buy a new one since just the lip portion shipped is over $1000. Im sorry but thats just not a smart investment.

I believe the only alternative is APR's splitter

·
Registered
90 Posts
APR spoiler installed, no problems

I have an APR front spoiler installed on my widebody. No problems in looks or quality.
Here's a pic.
Charlie
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts