Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a few questions to the seasoned road track guys. I have a spare set of 17" wheels in my garage. I'm debating whether to make them my track wheels and buy racing tires to put on them, but I want to get educated first.

One, any thoughts on using 17" wheels on my C6 on the track? Does it even make a difference? I can only use up to 245's with these wheels (8").

Second, any recommendation for track tires? I've been reading up on the Nitto's but want to see if there are personal preferences after use.

Third, how many miles/laps can one expect to get out of a set or track tires?

I don't go often, but am trying to make it more of a regular thing.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
A C6 autocrosser I know uses C5 Z06 wheels and tires with 1/4 spacers on the front.

Most C6 Road racers are going to 18inch rears. Most popular road racing tires I have seen used are Hoosiers but the Toyo RA1s are gaining popularity because the grip as well as the Hoosiers and wear much better.

I use GY GSD3s on the front and will go to them on all 4 when GY makes the GSD3s in 325 x 19 this summer.

:cheers:

·
Registered
402 Posts
My street set up is the stock C5 Z06 size wheels and tires.
For the track I run 18 inch wheels front and back. 18x9.5 front, 18x10.5 rear. I use Michelin DOT-R tires, the Pilot Sport Cups, treadwear rating of 80. 285/30R18 Front and 315/30R18 Rear. This set up fits on my coupe with no spacers needed and no real rubbing problems (my ACI brake ducts cause some clearance issues at full lock, but I'm working on it).

My first track day with this setup was 7/9/06 and I got 7 days out of my front tires and 9 days out of my rear tires. My second set of fronts again gave me 7 days (maybe I can squeeze an 8th day out of them) and I have a new pair of fronts coming from Tire Rack this week (heat treated). So I'll be starting on my third set of tires within one year (after 15 track days).

I've begun swapping my left and right tires at the track on Saturday afternoon to try to even out the wear. Most of the tracks I run go Clockwise so my left front tire takes a beating on the outer shoulder. I also just increased my camber all around using Pfadt camber plates in the hope of reducing outside shoulder wear. When my tires wear out, sometimes I can begin to see cord just starting to show at the outer shoulder while there is plenty of rubber left on the rest of the tire. I've gone to higher pressures to help get the load off the shoulder (sort of worked...maybe), but the camber should help more. Because of the pain of readjusting camber, I'm going to try to leave my camber at my track setting all the time (-1.8 deg front and -1.5 deg rear).

I'm happy with my Pilot Sport Cups. I wish they would last longer and weren't so expensive, but it is a fun hobby anyway.

Have fun!
Roy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts