Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I took my vette in for an alignment and was told that they couldn't do the alignment because the rack and pinion was leaking and the inner tie rods were loose. I was told a replacement rack and pinion comes with new inner tie rods. I guess my question is, should I order a replacement rack and pinion which most I see are rebuilt or is there a way to rebuild mine? Also where could I order one? I need to fix this soon since it's driven every day and my front tires are wearing much more on the outside. I checked Corvette Recycling's website and it shows them being out of stock. The car is a 1996 Lt4 and if i'm not mistaken '88 through '96 are interchangeble, if i'm not giving enough info or am way off let me know as i'm still learning about this beast :partyon:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Sure you could buy a rebuild kit but why deal with that. buy new and get the warranty.
changing it isn't that hard just PITA not sure on the LTs but on a L98 you remove the wheels, radiator fan and fluid connectors then just three or four bolts and slide it out.
and yes it comes with inner tie rods.. make sure to take measurements so you get it close to aligned til you get to the shop.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, that pretty much supports what i've been reading. I guess the next step is to find one and order it. Thanks alot I appreciate the input :cheers:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Here's a tip that'll save you some grief, make sure the boots don't twist when you turn the inner tie rod. The toe adjustment is done at those inners, if the boots stick then the boots could be torn up. Don't ask me how I know.....:smack

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a tip that'll save you some grief, make sure the boots don't twist when you turn the inner tie rod. The toe adjustment is done at those inners, if the boots stick then the boots could be torn up. Don't ask me how I know.....:smack
Oh ok thanks for that tip, i'm sure if there's anything that could make this more of a hassle I would find it, so any help is great :laughing:

·
Registered
891 Posts
I just put a new one in my 84. Autozone and Advance had nice prices, but were out of stock and had no idea when they would be in stock. I got mine from Zip and it shipped the next day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts