Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building my 78 Vette with a 454 Big Block. Today I found where I can buy a used radiator that fits a 78 Vette that is a 4 core radiator. They claim it was for a Big Block. Is this what I need for the Big Block, or should I save my money and get something like a Dewitts or Be Cool radiator.

Thanks!

·
DC Crew
12,249 Posts
I wouldn't buy a used radiator period
I agree bro, you never know what you are getting.

Besides the aluminum rads just work so much better and you being in Texas with the heat, you will probably be better off with aluminum anyway! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
738 Posts
:agree: Go New and Aluminum, and electric fans while your at it. Nice an clean

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
...I found where I can buy a used radiator that fits a 78 Vette that is a 4 core radiator. They claim it was for a Big Block....
There are four row radiators but, of course, no big block radiators for 78. The 454 will definitely want greater cooling capacity. FWIW: the stock 68-74 big block radiators with big block fan shrouds will do the trick if you want to stay stock.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Since you are installing a 454, it is obvious that you are not looking for stock. Definately go with the aluminum radiator and dual Spals. You won't be sorry.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
I replaced my whole cooling system a month or so ago and got an Al radiator from Speedway Motors for under $200. Fit with almost no modification. I know the old addage of "you get what you pay for" but so far it's worked really well.

I made a thread about the whole system if you want to do a search.

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced my whole cooling system a month or so ago and got an Al radiator from Speedway Motors for under $200. Fit with almost no modification. I know the old addage of "you get what you pay for" but so far it's worked really well.

I made a thread about the whole system if you want to do a search.
I remember that thread!

What you did is probably the smart thing to do. I will search for the thread to get the links.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts